Tax Attorney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Attorney?

Now that I am filed and discharged I have a clearer head and can now focus on my other financial issues.

I have a $10,000 tax bill to the IRS for taxes owed for 2007 and were due 4/15/2008.

i do not have the $10k and will most likely owe again for the 2008 years.

While I am not trying to avoid paying these taxes, I do know it is going to take me a while to get the money together.

Do I need to hire an attorney (tax)?
    Or do you think the feds will work with me?
    Much thanks for all the support and information I receive on this forum.
    Chapter 7 filed 11/21/2008
    341 Meeting 01/05/2009
    Discharged 03/06/2009

If you are not disputing the tax owed, just call the IRS and set up a payment plan.

Comment

OP, the IRS will work with you. What you may want to do is file your 2008 taxes first then make an installment agreement for the total outstanding. They can go as far as 60 months in a repayment plan. Make sure to mention you do NOT want a lien. There is a min amount you have to pay monthly to avoid the lien. You can not be late, not even once when you have an installment plan with the IRS. So it is best to make the payments as small as possible, but pay in a much larger amount as interest is charged. BTDT

Oh, just a note, if you need a little time to file your 2008 taxes, file your extension (you know that part ) but if you need to delay signing an installment agreement, have the IRS give you an extension on the 2007 taxes. They will do it for 120 days max, but you have to be insolvent. It is not really tough for you because you just came through a Ch 7 - so insolvency is not hard to prove. You want to make sure to only make one agreement - that's why you have to have the 2008 taxes filed, so you can merge the two outstanding years together. Good luck
      Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
      Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X