What have you done after discharge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What have you done after discharge?

We see a huge number of posts from people that are posting about credit cards that they have received, cars purchased on credit, and the like after they have discharged their bankruptcies. Of course, everyone is free to do as they wish, and some have determined that they will not live a life where they are defined by a three digit number that is arbitrarily assigned to them by an organization that will not even tell you exactly how they come to that calculation. Others, will post about how happy they are that their FICO has hit some number, but don't pay any attention to how much their emergency fund is.

Moving beyond those numbers, I wanted to know what anyone has been able to do for someone else post discharge that they would not have been able to do, or at least do as easily before.

You see, bankruptcy is a moral issue for many (if not all), and I feel for me to do anything less than to make the most of this reset that I have been allowed would be immoral.

So, has anyone been able to do something good for someone else that they would have had a difficult time with pre-bankruptcy? I have my own story, but I will wait to read some other stories first.
    Filed 8/08 - Discharged 11/08! Not tracking FICO.
    Pre-Bankruptcy Net Worth: -$72,000... Today's net worth: $142,000.
    If your FICO score just went higher than your net worth, and you are happy about this, you might have a financial problem!

My step daughter (19 years old) is a student in college, and her BF has a life threatening illness. Transportation is critical for his many hospital trips. Her car died, beyond being reasonably fixable. In any case, her birthday is coming up and we were able to give her $300 towards her replacement car. She had $1200.00 saved. So with the combined total she was able to get a good deal on a car which I expect will last her for a while. I realize the three hundred bucks isn't much, but I am still working on many things financially, with the BK still going on. But without the BK, I never could have helped her in this manner.

We were also able to take the second step daughter and get her some school clothes, a jacket and new glasses. (of course we would have found a way to do this regardless, as these are necessities)

My daughter just moved into her own place and we were also able to help her with basic kitchen supplies, and the first grocery store trip as a house warming gift. With the money she didn't have to spend to stock her kitchen, she saved a homeless cat, had it treated at the vet and it now has a home.

It is just a little start to help someone else, but it is a start.

As for my own stides in remaing debt free, it is ongoing still. I did apply for a cc and was approved, unsecured. I charged car insurance, which will be paid off by next month. But I am working hard on recovering from being broke and living much more within my means.
    8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
    11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

We've unofficially adopted my son's friend. He's 18, and on his 18th birthday his mom asked him for the house key and said, oh by the way, I'm moving and you need to find another place to live. This poor kid was going to GED classes and working at night, and she took his truck away from him, so he was bouncing around from couch to couch with no job, no school, and not knowing where he would sleep that night. So now we got him in a free adult education class for the GED and drop him off on my way to work every morning, pick him up around noon, and we are working on filling out his fafsa for going to college. Poor baby. My son is 17, almost 18, and believe me, I know how much of a pain he can be. Sometimes I just want to kick him in the rear. But I don't. And I can't understand a mother who just abandons her kid, even though he is 18. He's a good kid, doesn't give us any trouble.
      So I'm determined not to let him fall through the cracks, and to get him into college.

Comment

Lookingforward---

Your story warms my heart. Our jobs as parents does not end, EVER!!

Thank you for a touching story. People like you make the world a better place.
        8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
        11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

Originally posted by lookingforward View Post
          We've unofficially adopted my son's friend. He's 18, and on his 18th birthday his mom asked him for the house key and said, oh by the way, I'm moving and you need to find another place to live. This poor kid was going to GED classes and working at night, and she took his truck away from him, so he was bouncing around from couch to couch with no job, no school, and not knowing where he would sleep that night. So now we got him in a free adult education class for the GED and drop him off on my way to work every morning, pick him up around noon, and we are working on filling out his fafsa for going to college. Poor baby. My son is 17, almost 18, and believe me, I know how much of a pain he can be. Sometimes I just want to kick him in the rear. But I don't. And I can't understand a mother who just abandons her kid, even though he is 18. He's a good kid, doesn't give us any trouble.
          So I'm determined not to let him fall through the cracks, and to get him into college.
          Good for you. If it makes you feel better. I was also that kid. I now have degree been married for 8 years and have 3 kids. You will forever hold a spot in his heart.

My story, my father in-law lost his job and would give us money for his cell phones and would pay to stock our freezer each year with deer. We now pay for all of this and he doesn't have to pay. We also buy extra stuff for him now that we can afford to. He would never ask, we just do.. I also give a little more to church.

Comment

It is excellent to read about people who have used this time in their lives, and the opportunity that they have, to do something for others! It is really heartwarming!

Now, for my story...

A young pre-teen girl (who is a relative) came into our lives around the time that we discharged. She had suffered years of abuse at the hands of her mother, and forms of abuse that are too horrible to really even talk about. The situation that she was in at that time was far from optimum, and she was not doing well in any form!

My wife and I were able to open up our home, and add another child basically to the three that we already have. Since her birthmother was determined that she was going to get her back (she owned her, you now, plus I am sure that she wanted to abuse her some more), we had to hire a lawyer to provide legal protection for her, as that could not be allowed to happen!

We have taken care of the abusive people in her life, and are moving forward towards adopting her legally. She will get Mom and Dad that she has so desperately wanted in her life. And, she will have a much better chance of growing up and being a productive member of society instead of just a drain.

I don't consider this to be any type of payment for a moral debt, but I am thankful every day that I have been able to help her. It would probably not have been possible to have done this if we still had the stress of a crushing load of debt. I think that it was all part of a greater good!

I hope that this thread will live on, as a tribute to people who have come through a lot, and while some in society are quick to condemn, many are able to step up now, give something back, and make a real difference in lives! Thank you everyone for posting!
            If your FICO score just went higher than your net worth, and you are happy about this, you might have a financial problem!

Comment

Wow, it is great to hear these stories.

Maybe people are getting more focused on what is going on around them and less focused on "keeping up with the Joneses"

Seems like a lot of teenagers need help, also from these stories.

Comment

These are great stories. Glad to see that the human spirit lives on during these very troubling times.
                7-2-2009 Filed
                8-28-09 341 Concluded, no assets
                10-28-09 DISCHARGED/CLOSED!!!!

Comment

Here's another teen story to add to the others. My brother teases me said that we should just open our home as a place to crash for wayward teens.

My sister was off at college at 17 (long story in and of itself) and became pregnant. She could not move back home with our Mom who is on drugs. Hubby and I had just "invited" our problem only child to leave home and started to enjoy our empty nest and looking forward to discharge. We invited my sister to stay with us through her pregnancy and as long as she and the baby need a roof because of course the baby's father wants nothing to do with her or the child. On top of that, our son was kicked out of the house where he was living and showed true remorse for all of the disrespect and worse he put us through so we let him move back in. My sis is occupying his old room but he has crammed his stuff into our computer room. Neither kids (son is 22 and sister is 18 now) had jobs but my sister is able to get WIC and health insurance and my son just got a job a few weeks ago and is finally starting to pay a modest amount for rent.

Hubby and I would never have been in a position to help either of them out with the crushing mound of credit card debt we had before. Funny, I never thought about bk having such a silver lining. But it does - it puts us in a better position to help others. How nice! What a great thread and I hope it continues.
                  Filed: 8-19-09
                  341: 9-21-09
                  Notice of Discharge: 11-28-09

Comment

Originally posted by zpbk13 View Post
                    Hubby and I would never have been in a position to help either of them out with the crushing mound of credit card debt we had before. Funny, I never thought about bk having such a silver lining. But it does - it puts us in a better position to help others. How nice! What a great thread and I hope it continues.
                    Again, it is great to hear another story about someone who has used their fresh start in life to help others. It is good for one to give back when one receives help! Good job!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X