Iphone Personal Finance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iphone Personal Finance

Well, I gave up my prepaid cellular phone, and went with an Iphone!

How it all started, was I was going on a business trip back in October, and thought about what it would be like to be able to travel again without my computer. I was still averse to the monthly bills, but my son and I were into Best Buy, and I looked at the Ipod Touch. The next day, I bought one. I took it on that trip with me, and never missed the computer at all!

I carried that unit with me every day, and every waking hour, until the first part of April this year, when I bought an Iphone. Again, I haven't looked back, and the money I spend is well worth it in terms of my productivity. The phone is the least used part of it, and if the Ipod touch had a camera and built in microphone... well... but it doesn't.

Incidentally, I applied for the account with AT&T, expecting it to be declined. It was approved with no problem, and no deposit necessary.

I have always struggled to find a good finance app for the Iphone. There are many out there, but none that do what I want exactly. I was going to build my own out of a database app, or get a program to use Excel with the Iphone, and use my own sheet, but I think that I found a better solution.

I imported and fine tuned my financial spreadsheet into Google Docs. This is easily accessible with the mobile browser, and it works well. You can do a fair amount of simple data entry, capturing it at the point of purchase if necessary, and save the heavy duty editing for when you are sitting at a computer. I also use it to check my spending plan, and my individual account balances when I need to see them on the run.

Just a thought, but this solution might work for others. I have even been thinking that maybe there is a business to be had providing this solution for others?

Just a thought for all of the Iphone users out there...
    Filed 8/08 - Discharged 11/08! Not tracking FICO.
    Pre-Bankruptcy Net Worth: -$72,000... Today's net worth: $142,000.
    If your FICO score just went higher than your net worth, and you are happy about this, you might have a financial problem!

I use mint.com. I have made chRges and deposits and opened the mint app 5 minutes later and already showed the transactions.

Comment

I use Mint as well, and it does update and work nicely, except that it is great at telling me what happened, and not so good at telling me proactively where my money is planned and allocated to go. I use a zero based budget, with virtual accounts and balances monitored in the spreadsheet.

Mint can't keep up with that, so I use my custom sheet.
      Filed 8/08 - Discharged 11/08! Not tracking FICO.
      Pre-Bankruptcy Net Worth: -$72,000... Today's net worth: $142,000.
      If your FICO score just went higher than your net worth, and you are happy about this, you might have a financial problem!

Comment

Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
        341 meeting on 5/28/2010
        Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X