Quitclaim to nonfiling spouse AFTER BK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quitclaim to nonfiling spouse AFTER BK?

Okay, here is a question. I filed 7, 341 was at the end of August. So hopefully I will be discharged in October. I may or may not attempt a pro se AP to discharge my student loans - kind of depends on whether I get a SSDI-qualifying diagnosis. Anyhow, the point is that even with a discharge, I will still have student loan issues. I cannot pay the private student loans. I also have no assets except our JTWROS home.

Now, here is the tricky part. We live in a title theory state. The note is only in my husband's name, though I signed a waiver on the note. Our deed is JTWROS. I don't *think* the note severs the JT because of the waiver and at any rate our state kind of ignores the title theory rule in this instance. But I digress.

My question is, is there a problem if I quitclaim my interest in the home to my husband after my discharge? I know that it would be technically exempt from my creditors, but I've seen creditors do some pretty crazy stuff. I am also thinking about this because then it allows us to pass an interest directly to our children in the event that one of us dies and avoid some issues down the road.

I know this would negatively impact my credit score, but I don't really care about that right now. Perhaps this is irresponsible of me, but the last thing I EVER need to do is borrow any more money.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks!

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X