No announcement yet.

Goals For Cutting Corners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW! This week I decided to start buying cheaper foods. I'm going to start eating a diet consisting mostly of PBJ and Ramen. No more bacon and eggs and no more frozen dinners. My grocery bill for this week is $64.22, AND THAT INCLUDES $11 FOR A PACK OF RAZORS! Not only that, I bought bulk Ramen on sale, so I have a three week supply, and I bought the large jar of peanut butter so that will last at least a couple of weeks too. I can't wait for next week's grocer bill, will probably be well under $30. And I didn't even clip coupons either. So, just like the admiral who's ship was about to be sunk and was ordered to surrender by his enemy said he had not yet begun to fight,

I HAVE NOT YET BEGUN TO SAVE!
    Filed C7: 04/25/2007
    341: 05/21/2007
    Last Day for Objections: 07/20/2007
    Discharged: 07/23/07 Closed: 07/26/07

Comment

With the savings from the grocery store, you can afford the dr bill for eating all of the salt that is in those Ramen noodles.

Do you really think Ramen Noodles and PB&J is a good healthy diet?

I think I'd look for cheaper razors and buy some veggies.
      I used to have a life, now I have grandkids.

Comment

LOL....The great thing about Ramen noodles (pork flavor is my fav) you can add TONS of stuff to them...I add veggies and/or chopped up leftover meats, even kilbasa/sausage...add a little bread and tada..a full meal.

(course I am bad about loading on the butter and cheez, i drain my noodles fully before adding seasoning)

Comment

I got an old version of Microsoft Money a couple years ago and started using it. Then kept an eye out for a newer version and found it clearanced in Staples for $5. Everything goes into my records and I have tons of categories to keep my records very detailed. Using that, I was never late on a bill and never overdrawn on a bank acct or overlimit on a CC. Daily I was asked for an update of OUR finances.

But we separated a few months ago, shortly after discharge. Now I find it harder to resist impulse purchases. And I know why I buy things on impulse, it's because for so many years I went without things I needed because someone else in the family needed something else more importantly (like diapers when kid was little).

Anyways, I got my daughter on board with our budget in a unique way. I had several cork boards and spent a few $$ buying some old board games w/ play money. At the start of each month, I pin up whatever amount is in the bank to the cork board. Then as I get paid, cash is added to the income side (rounded down to nearest $). As I receive bills, cash is mved from the income side & added to the expense side (rounded up to nearest $). When I pay the bill, the bill is moved to a third section and the cash goes back into a box for later use.

I have a second board with goals, both short and long term. For ones requiring actual money, I pin up the amount needed and as I am able to accumulate the needed funds, I remove the cash from the board. Goals not requiring cash, such as fitness goals, have a detailed list of how to achieve that goal. I find it very helpful to have a visual reminder of my budget & financial goals.
          Filed 9/5/07
          341 10/4/2007
          Last Day for Objections 12/3/2007
          DISCHARGED 12/4/2007

Comment

I have been pondering False Economy: that is, buying cheap things and somehow thinking you are saving money. Cheap things break. You end up buying more of them, thus spending more money.

My experience has been that it is false economy to cut down on many things. Food for example. Without reasonable nutrition, your hospital bills will go up, and your life expectancy will be damaged. Cheap food is not necessarily bad though. Many of the healthiest foods are relitively cheap. Brown rice, beans, pasta and sauce are great ways to save money. When I splurge, I get fresh vegetables.

Don't waste food. Get only what you will actually eat. Eat leftovers or freeze if you make too much.

Learn to make your own. Surprisingly, making bread, or jam, or pot roast takes very little focus. Some people do not cook because they have been led to believe that it is a specialized art and they have no talent, so they end up buying pre-made food. Making your own food costs a lot less, and is a lot easier then it seems.

Plant a garden Even if it is a few pots of herbs on an apartment balcony. Fresh vegetables are easy to grow and give you a feeling of satisfaction unlike any other feeling. (Well, maybe a few better feelings). There is nothing like popping a few organic strawberries in your mouth grown in your own backyard.

Cut down on consumption of goods by really "studying" things to find out what the best option is. Cheap is not always the best option.

Get involved with an art form or hobby that will replace shopping binges, or interests in consumer goods. Some forms of art can be done with relatively little money.

If it is a choice between one good thing and 20 really cheap things. Get the one good thing. The best value is something well made of good materials. For example, shoes, purses things like that. You need only 2-3 pairs of anything. But make sure it will last. I think getting things by really good designers that become "instant classics," is better than throwing money away on junk.

Never buy a new car. Buy old cars from places where they don't salt the roads.

Always have a sideline. Work on ways to get "invisible" income streams coming in.

That is all I have for "advice."
            Last edited by One Half Full; 04-06-2008, 12:38 AM.
            Not all those who wander are lost....

--J. R. R. Tolkien

Comment

Farmers Markets/Open Markets for fruits and vegatables. Buy whats in season. It will tast better and make you healthier.

Don't go out for dinner. Go out for coffee or Ice Cream. Make it a date!

Crock pot.... After 10 hours even the cheapest cuts of meat are tender. Wal-mart has some decent ones that are cheap.

As One half said, buying too cheap can be bad. After many many tries, I never buy the cheapest stuff. I buy the second cheapest item. Home Depots chepest stuff is usually only good for one or two uses. But the second chepest works fine for most people.

This one is my favorite..... Use your PUBLIC LIBRARY. It is an excellent source of entertainments. Besides books, you can check out DVD of movies and TV shows, CDs, audio books, attend FREE childrens functions, volunteer to host a childrens function and find low cost summer activities for the kids. Your local public library is a gold mine of entertainment and education.

Comment

I read the ads, clip coupons and stockpile when I find a good sale. For example name brand cereal is on sale for 1.50. I have coupons for $1 of 2 boxes. I will stock up on cereal this week at a saving of 75% the name brand and even cheaper that Aldi!

My second tip is use high school and college shop classes for car repairs. I only pay for parts no labor! I just got a head gasket fixed for $200. Actually, it was a head gasket, some seals, and a wiper motor. The down side is it may take a bit longer for them to fix it because the instructors are teaching and then checking the work.

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcc View Post
                  I read the ads, clip coupons and stockpile when I find a good sale. For example name brand cereal is on sale for 1.50. I have coupons for $1 of 2 boxes. I will stock up on cereal this week at a saving of 75% the name brand and even cheaper that Aldi!

My second tip is use high school and college shop classes for car repairs. I only pay for parts no labor! I just got a head gasket fixed for $200. Actually, it was a head gasket, some seals, and a wiper motor. The down side is it may take a bit longer for them to fix it because the instructors are teaching and then checking the work.
                  Hmmm, I like the tip of using a school shop class for car repairs (if you can live without the car for awhile that is)....and it reminds me of something else. The very first hair perm I ever had (and my hair was down past my ass at the time) cost me 20.00 at the Marinello School of Beauty. Took 6 hours just for them to roll my hair but was the best perm I ever had! (prolly cause they were careful and there was a grade riding on it)

Good thinking, 2much. Wonder how much other stuff we could come up with that we could go to schools for that would save money.

That's a challenge for anyone reading.

ep
                  California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

Those must have been HUGE perm rollers!

Schools of massage also give discount work by students who are very interested in pleasing you.
                    Not all those who wander are lost....

--J. R. R. Tolkien

Comment

1. Dollar stores....lol they really do have alot of cool things there for cheap. i love buying my cleaning supplies there, sponges, paperplates...things like that.

2. Sams Club- i have a membership there and that helps out alot with food costs, and if ya have cats they have litter for really cheap.

3. i used to go to the hair salon to get my hair dyed....that would run me like 50 bucks, now i buy the 10 dollar stuff from walmart! the only thing i go to the salon for now is a trim once in a while.

4. Walmart! whatever i cant get at sams or the dollar store i get at walmart.

5. go PREPAID CELLPHONE- my actual cell phone had to go to collections cause i was paying 90 a month, i now have a prepaid and cut way down on using it and now i only spend about 30 a month
                      6.also im a diet coke and coffee addict as well, everyday before work i used to buy a large coffee on my way, now i have a coffee maker, i get my coffee at sams club and have 2 nice big cups before i leave my house, as for the diet soda, i get the diet sams choice can, i pack it with me for my work day and have once can a day.
                      7. i come to work prepared anymore, no more buying out for lunches, no more vending machines, i pack my lunch and i keep an emergency snack in my drawer that way i dont have to spend a dollar in the vending machine.
                      8. i also signed up for a free checking account with wamu, u get free checks and dont ever have to pay for checks and as long as you have a dollar in the account you will never get charged a checking acct fee, im going to use that acct and try to put at least 50 away each month for savings.
                      Last edited by bk4sky; 07-13-2008, 11:08 AM.
                      retained lawyer june 08, filed may 09....341 on 6/26/09- went smooth! Glad to be part of the 60 day club .... AND- 6/27/09- got engaged
                      10/30/10- WEDDING!!
                      09/04/09-discharged!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X