Need suggestions on cutting food costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anonymuse
    Just a warning here... due to the high volume of fradulant internet coupons, many retailers are no longer accepting them. I work in retail and we quit taking them about 9 months ago or so.
    Filed Pro-se: 01/18/06
    341 meeting: 02/14/2006
    Objection Deadline: 04/17/06
    Discharge: 06/13/2006
    Closed: 06/21/2006

Credit cards

06/25/06, reopened a Discover that I closed before my bk, $1500 limit
    July 2006, Target Redcard $200 limit
    August 2006, Hooters MC $1750 limit

Comment

The last couple posts reminds me of something really weird. A couple years ago, priceline.com had groceries lol. I did it once, it was crazy. You rang up your groceries online, and paid by card. Then, you'd print out a receipt. Then, you goto your grocery store and get these specific items you paid for. Goto checkout, and give the cashier the printed receipt, which has a barcode she scans and pays for your groceries! It was so weird, I got some great deals, but never tried it again.

Comment

Well, if I'm gonna go to all the trouble of ordering online - THEN I WANT THEM DELIVERED.......

If I have to go pick them up, its the same as going shopping for them and checking out................ (only thing I've done is prepaid for them)............

Whats the purpose, basically the same price, I'm sure..........
        Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

Originally posted by krobin02
          Just a warning here... due to the high volume of fradulant internet coupons, many retailers are no longer accepting them. I work in retail and we quit taking them about 9 months ago or so.
          This isn't just about internet coupons--that's a minimal part of it.

Instead, you put in your zip code and choose your stores. They will give you a list of what is on sale and let you know if there are coupons in the Sunday circular for them. They let you know what are good items to stock up on. You get a list with actual cost, savings, savings with coupons, percent total discount--some things end up free.

My sister regularily uses them and her bill is usually cut in half.
          *** THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE--ONLY A LAWYER CAN PROVIDE THAT. ***

My posts represent hours of research on and off the web, these forums, my experience, and my opinions.

Comment

This isn't just about internet coupons--that's a minimal part of it.

Instead, you put in your zip code and choose your stores. They will give you a list of what is on sale and let you know if there are coupons in the Sunday circular for them. They let you know what are good items to stock up on. You get a list with actual cost, savings, savings with coupons, percent total discount--some things end up free.

My sister regularily uses them and her bill is usually cut in half.

<sigh> No stores available in my zipcode. And my Sunday paper seldom ever puts coupons in it anymore.

Oh, well.
            Chapter 13 filed -8/12/04
            Plan approved- 7/11/05
            Date discharged--10-12-2007
            Date closed- 12/6/2007:yes2::yes2:

Comment

Really cutting food costs to the &quot;bone&quot;

I ran across a newspaper article about the USDA site MyPyramid.gov and thought it would make a good tool to convince my girls there is no daily requirement for cola and junk food. I have stopped buying anything but the basics, and there are always salad fixings and canned fruits if fresh ones are too pricey for snacking. If they want junk, they buy it out of the little funds they bring home from parttime jobs while in school. So I sat them down in front of the computer when my older daughter (she should know better, since she is a biology major!) told me they would get sick without more meat in the diet (I stopped buying bacon and sausage for breakfast sandwiches, but do keep ham on hand and turkey smoked sausage when on sale). They put in what they had eaten yesterday and compared that printout to one I had done with their "wish" list of foods for a day. A real eye opener for them! Not sure they are totally converted, but I only make one main meal a day and they can eat it or spend their own funds. I have my sister keeping all kinds of plastic containers for me after margarine, etc, is gone, and I'm getting quite a nice stockpile of single portion meals for a week when my pay goes elsewhere than grocery shopping.
              August '05 Business failed.
              Spring '06 Found this site, thank heavens
              Chap 7 (no asset) filed 11/10/06; 341:1/31/07
              disharged 2/26; closed 4/17/07

Comment

awesome advice

Comment

The Grocery Game

My sister swears by this and saves about half her bill everytime she goes in there.
                  DO NOT PAY MONEY TO SAVE MONEY!!!!!

Check out www.dealagogo.com Better deals and it's FREE!!!!!
                  Filed 09/05
                  Discarged 1/2/06
                  Closed 1/13/06

Comment

Originally posted by JeepMom
                    DO NOT PAY MONEY TO SAVE MONEY!!!!!

Check out www.dealagogo.com Better deals and it's FREE!!!!!
                    Time is money also. $1.25 for a week--home much do you pay for the Sunday paper? Small price to pay when you have two little ones (one still in diapers) and a disability. Pulling up one list in 5 minutes versus an hour of searching. (Plus, my parents and myself pull off of her account also.) Also, many areas of the site do not require registration.

My posts represent hours of research on and off the web, these forums, my experience, and my opinions.

Comment

You've never looked at the site I posted. I can tell by your response. Look it up, then reply. There are areas for each store. Takes 10 min max. Most often there are more deals saving you more money including non-advertised in store specials.

DAGG has a forum for each grocery store. Most stores already have people that match up the ads.

I have kids (look in the picture) I do just fine with the amount of time it takes on DAGG.

Being lazy costs money. Good luck staying out of debt. Use your head, not your wallet(or your sisters).

Buying a newspaper with coupons is OK, PAYING for a subscription to an online matching service is NOT.
                      Last edited by JeepMom; 06-24-2006, 12:27 PM.
                      Filed 09/05
                      Discarged 1/2/06
                      Closed 1/13/06

Comment

Oh, I did look--and you didn't look closely at the Grocery Game. And this time I did a pull of TGG and compared it to DAGG directly and it's missing so many specials including a bunch of free after coupon items. TGG breaks things down into free, stock up on, and buy if needed. Unfortunately, DAGG doesn't help much that it doesn't have our major grocer here.

DO NOT call my sister LAZY. Serious rheumatoid arthritis (both knees replaced), needing a neck fusion in the next few years, and hands that are gnarled beyond belief. She has the most well stocked pantry in the basement. And her savings are unbelievable.

You use what you want, we'll use what we want. And let's leave it there.

Comment

I guess I'm in the "boonies" as far as those sites are concerned. None of the groceries are within 30 miles of me, and without reliable transportation, I'll just keep borrowing my neighbor's Sunday and Wednesday newpapers for the food ads.
                          Last edited by Bobby'sGirl; 06-24-2006, 05:18 PM.
                          August '05 Business failed.
                          Spring '06 Found this site, thank heavens
                          Chap 7 (no asset) filed 11/10/06; 341:1/31/07
                          disharged 2/26; closed 4/17/07

Comment

Being single and hating to cook I understand your problem. Below are some ideas that have worked for me:

Fruits and Veggies- If you have a Costco near you (and a membership) they have some great veggie and fruit trays that last about a week or so and cost about $10 dollars. Another easy veggie idea is to try the new Birds eye steamfresh veggies that you just toss the bags in the microwave and heat. These are great!

Meat- I use my Hamilton Beach grill to cook all my meat quick. Trader Joes has some precooked chicken breast strips and marinated chicken breasts (in either lemon pepper or balsamic vinegar marinades). These can either be eaten cold or reheated. Perdue makes original and Italian chicken breast cutlets that are ready to eat cold or heated. Another place I get my meats is ordering thru marketday.com. You order online and pick up at a school or church that participates in the program. Each portion of meat is individually shrinkwrapped and frozen. They also sell individial pieces of meatloaf, lasania and pot roast.

I have saved money using the suggestions above and also lost 17 lbs since eating like this instead of hitting the drive-thru all the time.

Comment

I cannot imagine having rheumatoid arthritis and very young children! I was diagnosed a few years ago with fibromyalgia and it is no fun. My husband is having major surgery in a few weeks and I'm checking out Super Suppers. Apparently if you host a party at their store and have 7 or more people you get your entrees free. Not a bad deal to hang out with your friends, make all your food and save time and gas on grocery shopping.
                              Filed: 2/24/2006
                              341 mtg: 4/4/2006:angel:
                              Discharged: 9/25/08!!!!!:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Gotta love that Super Suppers concept, Jane! for those who may not have heard of it, there are several around the country, look online for your area,
                                Dream Dinners, Dinners Ready, Dinners Done Right, Super Suppers, and others. We have the first two and I am a DD fan. You basically go and prepare 6or 12 meals for which all the shopping, chopping, and clean up is done for you. Then you have a bunch of gourmet meals for your freezer. Great for working moms.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X