top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Private student loans are not dischargeable right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private student loans are not dischargeable right?

I took out a private student loan through Aspire that I could use for bills, food, etc. I thought it was in some way related to Sallie Mae but when I pulled my credit report it says it was through AES/Chase. I think they passed a law a couple years back the protected private loans just like the federal, right? Man would it be nice if that loan went away.

It is not dischargeable in 99% of cases. A new law may be arriving soon about discharging private student loans though....*crossing fingers*

Comment

Originally posted by lovebirds View Post
      It is not dischargeable in 99% of cases. A new law may be arriving soon about discharging private student loans though....*crossing fingers*
      That's great to hear lovebirds. I haven't heard about that, could you give me a link? thanks.

Comment

I can't find a exact story again. I thought it was New York Times or CNN. But here's one I found similar to it: http://cohen.house.gov/index.php?opt...sk=view&id=944

Comment

OMG if they change the law after I was discharged... I'm gonna be so mad.... lol.
          BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
          Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

Shoot maybe I should wait...10k i owe..
            Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

Originally posted by nc73 View Post
              Shoot maybe I should wait...10k i owe..
              The bill is only in a house subcommittee right now. It is going to be awhile before anything happens. Also, the very powerful banking lobby will fight this, which will delay it further.
              You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

10k? Lucky you... my student loans are over 100k.
                BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
                Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Amy26 View Post
                  10k? Lucky you... my student loans are over 100k.
                  no that's just the private loan...40k in all
                  Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

I suppose it is just wishful thinking that there would be a provision in the bill allowing some sort of retroactive discharge for those of us who filed before the bill...
                    08.28.09 - Filed Chapter 7
                    10.19.09 - 341 Meeting
                    12.18.09 - Anticipating Discharge!!!
                    12.21.09 - Discharged!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jonathan View Post
                      I suppose it is just wishful thinking that there would be a provision in the bill allowing some sort of retroactive discharge for those of us who filed before the bill...
                      Interesting point. My attorney told me that anything I owed on the date of filing could be added to the BK forever. If they made it legal to file on private loans, I am sure however that they would write in some sort of special stipulation that they could NOT be tacked on to previous bankruptcy filings.
                      Filed: 9/9/2009
                      341: 10/13, went well!
                      Discharged 12/17/2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X