Private student loan with co-signers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private student loan with co-signers

First, let me say how much I appreciate everyone's advice and input. I recently found this site and have learned alot. I have searched to find the answer to this question, but haven't found anything exactly like this. If I have missed it, please accept my apology.

My parents are cosigners on an private student loan through great lakes. I am curious as to what will happen when I file, if it will show up on their credit report, if they will be contacted or if i continue to make payments if it will just not be an issue. I don't want to do anything to damage their credit and would prefer to handle this matter with out their invovlment (obviously to not worry them and to not feel as if I am dissapointing them.) Looked at options such as consolidation, but that doesn't seem to be an option for me with my debt to income ratio.

You will have to make manual payments when you file, or you can wait to make a payment until you are discharged. Your loans go into forbearance when you file, and you cannot make automated payments during bankruptcy.

Your loans will show as in forbearance while you are in bankruptcy. This will not affect your parents negatively.
    You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Because your folks are cosigners on the student loans they would be notified of your bankruptcy. Just speaking from my personal experience........
      Filing: 4/10/2009, 341: 5/18/2009
      Last day for objections: 7/17/2009
      Discharge: 7/29/2009

Comment

so it looks like they will be notified, but it will not appear as bankrupty on their report or negatively effect their credit

is that what I am gathering from your experienes

Comment

Originally posted by justme62906 View Post
          so it looks like they will be notified, but it will not appear as bankrupty on their report or negatively effect their credit

is that what I am gathering from your experienes
          Filing: 4/10/2009, 341: 5/18/2009
          Last day for objections: 7/17/2009
          Discharge: 7/29/2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X