Filed Chpt 13 and Cosigned on Student Loans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filed Chpt 13 and Cosigned on Student Loans

I am a cosigner on two student loans with my daughter. My wife and I filed Chapter 13 JUL 2009. My daughter is trying to lease a new place to live. She learned that one bank was reporting late payments due for one of the loans on her credit report. She made the payment to bring it current, but now she sees that the other bank is reporting her in default on the second loan now. When she contacted the loan servicer, she was informed that because of my bankruptcy, there is noting she can do to correct this situation. Additionally, as she is in school, it seems the loans should still be in deferment. It seems that since she is one of the loan holders with no interest in my bankruptcy, they would continue to follow the loan repayment terms with her. Unfortuantely, due to my wife and I filing, the financial institutions ceased all communication with her as well. This seems unfair to my daughter who is an innocent bystander willing and able to fulfill her obligations but got shafted. I need to know if anyone has been able to correct a situation such as this.

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X