top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cosigned student loans status after discharge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cosigned student loans status after discharge?

I was a cosigner on a student loan for my sister, which she defaulted on quite a few years ago - the state actually garnishes our state tax returns to pay it back. Now that I have filed bk and been discharged, will that change anything on my end? Will they still be able to garnish my tax returns? It shows charged off/paid by insurance on my credit report and shows it will come off my CR next year. I'm a little scared if I call them and ask about it that then they will reset the time and it will be on my CR for another 2 years.

Interestingly enough, my own student loans show "Chapter 7 BK, deferred until May 2012", while the one I cosigned has no notations of the BK at all. So even though I know BK doesn't discharge the SL, I'm a bit confused on the one I cosigned...
    Jessica
    Filed Chapter 7 (Minnesota): 5/23/11
    Discharged 8/30/11, Not yet closed...

Unfortunately, no, it does not change anything. If you have no intention of setting up a payment plan to pay the debt, best let sleeping dogs lie.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
      Unfortunately, no, it does not change anything. If you have no intention of setting up a payment plan to pay the debt, best let sleeping dogs lie.
      That's what I was thinking, I guess I was just a little confused on the wording and the fact that its going to fall off my CR in a few months
      Jessica
      Filed Chapter 7 (Minnesota): 5/23/11
      Discharged 8/30/11, Not yet closed...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X