top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foreign student loan debt and chapter 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foreign student loan debt and chapter 7?

Hi.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with US bankruptcy and foreign student debt (from their country of origin, or if they're US citizen having studied abroad using that government's student loan services).

I just had my chapter 7 discharged and I included a few debts from my country of birth (in western Europe) in case those creditors would ever attempt to domesticate my debts in the US. A couple of them were government student loans, one for me and one for my husband from when we lived there recently and did a few semesters of college studies. I don't have to pay on mine for the time being since I'm unemployed, but letters have been coming for my husband, and just a couple of weeks ago, a collection agency in the US started sending letters.

If the agency has authority to collect on this debt in the US, such as through court judgments or whatever, is there any hope that the debt would be discharged since I included it on the creditors' list, or will it be treated the same as a federal US student loan debt, which is not dischargeable?

Any tips are welcome. I spoke to my attorney about this and he assumed the debt would be non-dischargeable like a US debt, but he has no experience with foreign debt.

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X