top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you ask the Feds to change your Fed loan servicer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you ask the Feds to change your Fed loan servicer?

I have a defaulted private student loan with the same company - Sallie Mae - that has been assigned by the Feds to service my federal student loans. I am in deferment on the Federal loans and they have never been defaulted.

I've been wondering, seems like a potential conflict of interest, if I can ask the Feds to change the loan provider they assigned. Does anyone know or have any suggestions on who to contact?

Just thought I'd update this because since posting I've learned there is a way you can move direct federal student loans from one servicer to another. That way is to consolidate. BUT you can do that only once AND there's no guarantee that your loans won't get sold to another company at some point, including possibly whatever company you were trying to get away from - if you were.

Comment

Further update: so far I've not had any problem with Sallie Mae while my Federal Direct Loans are in satisfactory repayment. My old private loan with them, which I don't have the money to pay, is over the SOL by a couple of years and remains on the account when I sign in. I just ignore it. As far as I know, there's not much they can do with it as long as I don't touch it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X