Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

341 today, MA (Boston) (pro se)

Our 341 went well today.

Getting there was exciting. We had booked a taxi and gave them the addresses, but the driver seemed not to know how to get out of our neighborhood, nor where the Federal Courthouse is! Still, we arrived in good time.

In Boston there's a small general seating area, from which a Chapter 7 room and a Chapter 13 room are reached. We sat in the Chapter 7 room with others, waiting for our turn. I think we were the only pro se filers, out of the petitioners we saw. People can bring their cellphone.

The trustee was asking people what their job was, what real estate or cars they had, what they'd done with large sums of money they'd recently had, etc. He was businesslike and forthright, but also polite and informative. Decidedly non-grumpy, so far as I could see. At one point he even cracked a joke.

I got the impression that most people's papers had just had a very cursory glance. He asked us a bit about my employment, some land we sold in 2008, what one of our loans was and how much and when we'd last paid on that (kind of an insider, last paid Aug. 2008). He didn't even ask about the over $70k I had declared as accounts receivable among my assets, nor was there any hint that he'd want to see anything more.

There was one woman who had some land, where he continued her 341 because he wanted to see a copy of her deed. There was another woman who'd blown through nearly $400k in lottery winnings, where he wanted to take more time to look through her stack of paper about what she'd spent it on.

I didn't see a US Trustee taking notice of anybody's case. In some recent tax years we've had over $150k household income, and we have unsecured debts exceeding $500k, so I'd been anticipating some scrutiny, but our regular panel trustee didn't even want to see any bank statements.

I was struck that some of the other people, who had real estate, the trustee would just ask what they thought it was worth, then he'd ask about the property and its environs, he wasn't insisting that everybody get it professionally appraised.

Now I think about it, it probably helped that he learned that we live in an apartment that's well within the IRS local guidelines for rent, we drive an unreliable 1995 minivan that needs work, we were well upside-down on the house that was foreclosed on, my wife doesn't work, etc. I guess we probably just didn't smell like money!

Comment

Mtbc-

Thank you for posting your exp with Boston BK Court. Bravo for a successful 341. Esp with all the ins and outs you were dealing with and filing pro se.

It puts my mind at ease. I could probably go pro se in the BK as I did all my own divorce paperwork and the atty that looked it over was impressed by how thorough it was for a non-atty. It was so very easy that I imagine that I could weed through a BK too but I am still too nervous. Maybe I will work up the courage over time. I still have another 10 or weeks before the 90 day lookback is up. Since I did not plan to file I was still using my cards until I met with an atty who helped me see the light that I was never going to dig out from the rubble of my debt.

Comment

Thanks for posting your experience.

Comment

I just checked PACER and the day after our 341 our case had a Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution filed. Looking good!

I have neither received any property nor paid any money on account of this estate; that I have made a diligent inquiry into the financial affairs of the debtor(s) and the location of the property belonging to the estate; and that there is no property available for distribution from the estate over and above that exempted by law. Pursuant to Fed R Bank P 5009, I hereby certify that the estate of the above-named debtor(s) has been fully administered. I request that I be discharged from any further duties as trustee. ... Assets Abandoned: (without deducting any secured claims): $ 98748.00, Assets Exempt: Not Available, Claims Scheduled: $ 596095.00, Claims Asserted: Not Applicable, Claims scheduled to be discharged without payment (without deducting the value of collateral or debts excepted from discharge): $ 596095.00.

Comment

Great news!

Comment

Yes, I am glad your trustee's report of no distribution showed up quickly!! That was the nightmare for my case...............So keep smiling, and enjoy your ride!!
              (first 341 10/14/09, cont'd 341 10/23/09) (12/14/09 last day to object) (341 Shows HELD w/tt report of no distribution 1/9/2010)
              :clapping Discharged 1/25/2010 Case Closed 3/11/2010:D

Comment

Very nice that was very quick for our area.

Comment

thats great mtbc.my 341 went the same way in phila. pa.and my pacer acct. said basically the same as yours a day later.i aslo filed pro.so im justing hanging on till 3/10/10 for dis charge.cant wait.what a long strange trip its been.good luck filed 11/30/2009 341 1/6/10 discharge 3/10/2010.

Comment

Congratulations everyone on joining the 60 Day Club!!
                    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Thank you. (-:

Now I know why the trustee muttered something about my filing being hard to read. I was surprised because I had taken some trouble to make it easy to read, even esthetically pleasing.

Paying the $2.40 to have a look at my filing on PACER (they don't seem to charge after the first thirty pages for looking at one PDF), every page has the leftmost inch or two horribly faded. It is indeed very hard to read who the creditors are, etc. And I think the court clerk handed me my original back so I wonder if there simply isn't an official clear record of my case!

I suppose I can't take the papers down there again and ask them if they'd like to try again to scan them because they don't know if they're the same ones, and their software won't be designed to let them easily tweak the historical record / audit trail of the case. (-:

Comment

God I hope mine goes like that.

Comment

Thank you so much for posting this. I have been wondering what to expect at our 341... we have only had one meeting with our lawyer so far and I was so full of other questions that I didn't ask him exactly what we should expect at the 341.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X