Request for documents from TT after filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request for documents from TT after filing

I filed for CH7 2 weeks ago and received letter yesterday requesting some documents which to my amazement are far less than I thought I would need to supply the TT. I spent tremendous hours preparing copies of everything I could think of going back several years so I wouldn't have to come up with them at the last minute and when I'm under the stress of this whole event, especially being underemployed also at the present time. All they want is my 2008 tax return and 09 when available, pay stubs and bank statements for 4months. My lawyer certainly got alot of info from me in our meetings but I sure thought I would haved to supply more. How does the TT decide what to request and from whom? I was a high income earner last year but not now, under the median by a little and high neg J expenses. Should I bring more papers with me to the meeting? Do you mail this package certified return receipt or just plain mail. Mt atty said regular mail but what if it gets lost? I'm just a paranoid freak from this whole thing.

I got my letter today and all my Trustee asked for was my most recent tax return. For me, that's 2008 because I haven't even received my W-2 for 2009. I'm feeling pretty positive that's all she wanted. However, I am still bringing the entire buttload of credit card bills and bank statements, etc. I downloaded and photocopied before I filed. Just in case...
    11/09 - Ran out of money - 1/4/10 - Filed Chapter 7 (Pro-Se) - 2/16/10 - 341 Meeting -6/17/10 - Reaffirmation hearing (auto) - DISCHARGED 7/6/10m CLOSED 7/26/10

Comment

ALWAYS send your mail by certified mail with return receipt. Keep all paperwork including the receipt you get from the Post Office. In the unlikely event something gets lost in the mail, you will have all the certification and confirmation numbers and receipts in your file.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Supply only what is requested, do not volunteer more information. Send the info per the letter but bring copies to the 341 just in case.

As to the differences in which documentation the Trustee requires, from reading the threads each district is different and the Trustees vary within each district! You did the right thing by organizing your paperwork in advance. IMO it is better to be prepared and not need it then need it and not be prepared!
        Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
        Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

We didn't even get a letter from the trustee, even after I mailed them and pointed that out and suggested I'd be happy to bring whatever they ask for. We didn't even have to supply bank statements! I just sent them (by certified mail) 2008 taxes, recent pay advices (including one post-filing that was in line with the others), and so far (now after 341) they've not asked for anything more. I guess it must vary a lot -- we had plenty more prepared, that I guess will get shredded and go in the recycling someday. (I even printed out e-mail correspondence about my coming redundancy, copies of invoices for our accounts receivable, 2006/2007 tax transcripts with appropriate redactions, all kinds of stuff -- but in the 341, not volunteering more than what was asked for, I gave my trustee none of it.)

Basically, my approach was: mail them the minimum they ask for, but get other stuff together if you're in a hurry to be discharged, so you have it right there if they ask for it. (I used post-it notes sticking out from the papers to mark where documents were in my plastic carrier bag I brought and set at my feet, so I'd be able to pull things out easily without showing all the other things.) Our trustee continued a few other people's 341's so they could get extra documents together for him (real estate deeds, etc.).

Comment

The problem is that I will look like a nut if I drag these binders ( 2 of them about 8 inches thick) full of files on everyting going back 2 years. My atty said not to bring them and my wife already thinks I'm a nut case and not to bring them. It's just that I would feel more secure if for whatever reason the TT or UST goes a--- on us and I could than just produce all these documents which are categorized, subcategorized, labeled , etc and hand them over. How would you carry these in and would security even let me? They are bulky and heavy, I would probably drop them. I've even had a nightmare I did drop them and thousands of papers fell all over the court room floor. Crazy stuff. I think my atty would roll her eyes if he saw me with this stuff. Its just that it seems weird the TT would ask for such little documentation going into such an important meeting.

Comment

I wouldn't hand over the full binders, just what's requested. I don't see why security would have a problem with them.

Your attorney probably knows what they're doing, though. It's probably okay if you don't bring them: if anything's needed then I'd expect the trustee to just continue the 341, you'll give requested documents to your attorney, and they'll review them and send them to the trustee. Not a very big deal, really, just slows the case down a little.

Comment

Originally posted by mtbc View Post
                I wouldn't hand over the full binders, just what's requested. I don't see why security would have a problem with them.

Your attorney probably knows what they're doing, though. It's probably okay if you don't bring them: if anything's needed then I'd expect the trustee to just continue the 341, you'll give requested documents to your attorney, and they'll review them and send them to the trustee. Not a very big deal, really, just slows the case down a little.

What mtbc said.

Supply what is requested, nothing more.

At your 341, answer "yes" or "no," and nothing more unless the Trustee asks for more information.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X