Trustee ask for documentation of expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trustee ask for documentation of expenses

The notice I got from the court says that I need to bring "documentation of monthly expenses claimed by the debtor" (in addition to bank statements, tax return and ID etc)

Any ideas of how much detail and over what period?

We have been paying cash for most things - groceries, gas.... so the only things I could document well are the mortgage payment, phone, power, insurance etc.

Thanks

Mainly they need to see you bank balances on the date of filing... Since they want documentation they prolly want to see a period of 6 months of statements.

So copies of bank statement during that period. Also if you have paid cash for this and that, I would recommend contructing a spreadsheet (as close to reality as possible) showing Date, amount you spend, what it was for, and a running balance. Just make certain that the expenses add up, meaning that it fits withing the income you claimed, etc. Documentation can be your friend, or the bear hiding behind the tree; just depends.

Comment

Are you sure you don't have any grocery or gas receipts kicking around? Maybe you should save a few of those cash expense receipts for two weeks and offer them as a "two week period sample." But honestly, that much detail probably will not actually be necessary.

I know for sure that I had to bring my insurance declaration pages. My cell phone bill was questioned, but I had gone to a cheaper plan between filing and attending the 341, and they were happy with that - - no documentation required.

Aside from the bank statements, my trustee did not ask for additional documentation of any of my expenses, except for insurance policies. I had several receipts with me for extraordinary expenses that I thought they might want to see, like a transmission for my truck and a new refrigerator. I did tell them about the expenses when they asked me if I had made any major purchases, but those receipts were never requested.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X