341 Meeting and Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

341 Meeting and Kids

Are children allowed at the 341 meeting? I have a small child and no family or friends where we just moved. When I asked my lawyer, I was told she wouldn't suggest it. So basically, she didn't say yes, but she didn't say no either. HELP!!!! Has anyone seen children at 341 meetings?

Originally posted by babyreeree View Post
    Are children allowed at the 341 meeting? I have a small child and no family or friends where we just moved. When I asked my lawyer, I was told she wouldn't suggest it. So basically, she didn't say yes, but she didn't say no either. HELP!!!! Has anyone seen children at 341 meetings?
    How old is the child? There was a couple with a child of about two at our 341, and it was disruptive. At one point before their turn, the woman, who I'm assuming was the mother had to leave the room with the child. I did not stay to see their meeting, but I can just imagine how distracting it would be for the trustee, and also the parents of the child.

While I don't think there is any actual court rule against children, my advice from experience would be to really try and make some kind of arrangement to not have your child there.
    Retained Lawyer: June 28 Filed Chapter 7: July 8 341 Meeting: August 16

Comment

Even though you don't know anybody, can you try to hire someone reputable for a couple hours?
      Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
      AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

My attorney acted like it was no big deal at all to bring kids! There was a 8-10 year old girl at our meeting. She just waited outside of the room. We have a 2 year old and there is no way we would have brought him even tho the attorney said it was ok, it is an extremely stressful time and you could end up waiting around for a while.There are a few places near us that do drop-off childcare and you just pay hourly. I think it was like 10$ an hour for children under 2.

Comment

we brought our son but he's 12 so...old enough to sit just outside the hearing room in the waiting area. We did not have him sit inside with us even though he is well behaved and wouldnt of bothered anyone.

I say it depends on the age of the child but if under the age of 6, I'd probably leave them home with someone if at all possible, unless they are extremely well behaved and can keep themselves occupied and quiet the entire time.

The court may also have deputies and/or receptionist that may be in the outside waiting area that you may be able to have your child sit with for those few minutes that you have your 341. Up until that time, maybe you or your husband can take turns sitting out in the waiting area with your child?

Comment

Thanks for the responses on my post and your private messages. Seems kids are definitely allowed at the 341 hearing. A lot of people have seen children as young as newborn to 12 years old. That is good news. It is definitely not ideal to bring my toddler if at all possible, but it is not an option for us to leave him with a total stranger either. I do have a friend that may be visiting our area around the time of our 341 meeting (assuming it's 30 days out) that will be happy to sit with my little one, but if that does not work out we will be bring him with us. It may go smooth and it may not, but before I know it.......it will be all behind me :-)

Comment

How did your 341 mtg go?
              Filed Pro Se Ch. 7 on 7/7/10 341 Meeting 8/19/10
              Last Day for Objections 10/18/10 Discharged to a Fresh New Start 11/1/10

Comment

It went GREAT! We were scheduled for 9:30 on Monday. When we arrived we were told the trustee was an hour and a half behind schedule and was still on the 8:00 people. I brought my 2 year old and others had children too. Everyone wore jeans except maybe 3 people. It was very informal. Our 341 was held in a small room the size of a living room with a waiting room next door. I spent most of the time playing with my son in the hallway while my husband waited for our names to be called. Once the 9:30 session began, we were the 4th names called. My son sat quietly on my lap while we answered a few questions that took less than 2 minutes. The most noise my son made was when we were in the hallway playing, but when we went in the meeting room he was quiet..... looking around wondering what in the world was going on :-) I am so glad it's over. THANKS SO MUCH FOR ASKING :-)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X