top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got new job after filing but before 341 meeting. What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got new job after filing but before 341 meeting. What to do?

Hi! I filed chap 7 in the Eastern District of NY yesterday pro se. I have been unemployed the past year and have been going to school with the free time. I just graduated and have been looking for work.

After I filed yesterday, I received an offer for a part time consulting job from an interviewed with a few weeks back. The job starts before my 341 meeting and I am only working 1-2 days per week. I will be getting a check and 1099 for that income (I will be an independent contractor and the money will not be direct deposit).

I'm worried that the trustee will ask if my income has changed since filing. What should I do with the checks I will receive from the new income? Should I deposit it or hold off until after the 341 meeting? I know I have to disclose the information to the trustee that I have started to work. What will happen to my case? Please help!
    Last edited by one1luv629; 09-03-2010, 06:43 PM.

Congrats on the new job! Does the new income put you over the median? I'm assuming not since it is a part-time position. In that case you should be fine. Just answer honestly if the trustee asks if your income has changed.
    Filed Chapter 7 on July 30, 2010
    341 scheduled for August 26, 2010 - Done! - Report of No Distribution
    Discharged!!! - November 15, 2010

Comment

Congrats on the job!!! Toons is right, does it put you over the median or substantially change your DMI? You need to be honest, so hopefully since it's only part time you'll be ok.
      Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
      AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

Thank you for your advice. I thought that Chap 7 bk is a snap shot of the day you filed? I have already went to my 341 meeting. Now it has almost been 2 months and I'm waiting for discharge. The trustee did not really ask me much during the 341 meeting. I told him I had gotten a part time job offer after I filed and he didn't seem to care.

Currently, I have been working at my new job for about 2 months and have started working more hours/days. According to what I am making now, I will be going over the median. Should I be concern that my new higher income will cause a problem with my discharge and dismissal? Even though I have already finished with my 341 meeting? Please help calm my nerves. Thank you!

Comment

I asked my lawyer about this very question because i am/was looking for a new job right around filing time...i have yet to secure anything, but have a phone interview scheduled for tomorrow. My lawyer basically said that whatever happens past filing day with regards to employment isn't an issue, AS LONG AS there is no owed wages from your previous job outstanding that hasn't been creditted or otherwise exempted...things like bonuses, stock options, etc.

Otherwise, he said it made no difference. The trustee might ask if my income increased...in my case I got a cost of living adjustment of 2% after filing that was retroactive for the past 4.5 months, but because of what I make, it comes to less than 500 before taxes earned over the past 5 months credited back, he said the trustee wouldn't be interested in taking it cause it's so small and wouldn't be nearly enough to affect my DMI.
          Ch7 no asset Filed 11/23 341 12/21 discharged: 2/22/11 I am soooo totally not a lawyer, but i wish i had married one! Does that count for anything?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X