Trustees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trustees

I know the trustee is the enemy in peoples minds, and some are good, fair, some are overzealous and rude, others are incompetent, but that is the same for pretty much any profession.

I want to encourage everyone to think about the trustees job, particularly in a chapter 7. The trustee is to oversee the case and make sure the rules regarding assets and exemptions is followed, to make sure the trustee is given certain powers and compensated according to how much they get for the creditors. That is their job, not to make it easy on the debtors, not to help you get a fresh start. The US trustee has the responsiblity to oversee the means test and ch7 versus chapter13 process.

Our trustee even helped us and had our hearing early as we had a young baby with us. I did not expect that and it was not required. BUT she did object to our exemptions to try and get money for creditors (and her share of course). We ammended our schedules and everything went ok and closed no asset. But she was doing her job.

It is not always an easy job, and for most cases the trustee gets only approximately $60 to do the duties, so they try and find assets, its their job. No matter whether we think its fair they try and take our vehicle, furniture, etc, they are paid to respresent the creditors.

So don't take it personally they want to sell your stuff.

There is no reason for them to be rude, but frankly I have rude waiters, rude mechanics, even rude plumbers and co-workers, so don't attribute rudeness to the fact they are a trustee, and don't interpret them doing their job as a personal attack.

Stick to your guns, follow the law, and get your fresh start. Just don't let a trustee get to you and make you feel bad for getting relief or that they are targeting you, they just want to get money where they can, and sometimes they are jerks, but usually they are ambivalent about your $60 no asset case.

Are you a TT ???

Since you focused on the "only $60" per case, lets do a little math.... I looked at my trustees case load in the past month... He was doing 341's for 2 days a week averaging 4 meetings per hour for 7 hours which equals $1680 per day and $3360 per week which adds up to $13440 in revenue per month.... These basic calculations do not include the other three days when he is a practicing attorney......

So "yawn" on your feel sorry for the trustee diatribe....

Comment

I am not,
      I just see everyone thinking that the trustee is out to get them and it makes people upset. Its just money to the trustee, so there is no reason to let it get to you, just follow the law and fight if you have to, but don't think its personal.

They get at least $60 per case, more on asset cases, that isn't the point. 13,440 is not a lot of revenue though.

I don't feel sorry for them though, its like anyone else, if you don't like the pay get another job. The point is that in most cases they aren't getting much to handle your case, so they probably don't give a damn about your case, let alone have personal animosity to you. Just doing a job.

People get all upset because they think someone is out to get them, they usually aren't unless there is money in it. But it is their job.

The post is for the benefit of everyone who gets all bent out of shape and lose sleep over what the trustee is going to do or not, which is mostly nothing.

Yawn if you like, hopefully it helps someone else here relax.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisdfw View Post
        I am not,
        They get at least $60 per case, more on asset cases, that isn't the point. 13,440 is not a lot of revenue though.
        $13k a month is a LOT OF MONEY even if they worked 40 hrs a week (full time job). But that number came from an example of working 2 days a week, 7 hours a day!

I'd love to be makin that money. Sign me up!

But I do agree, they're just doing their job. Don't take it personally.
        Don
        Filed Pro Se on 8/4/11 (No Asset, Chapter 7)
        Redeemed Automobile ProSe (722 Redemption),Discharged on 11/3/11

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X