fears and friendship regarding 341

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fears and friendship regarding 341

Have any of you noticed friends/family attending with the person filing for bk at any of the 341 meetings?

My fiance has offered to go with me to my 341 this coming Tuesday, Sept 21st. I feel mixed about it; on one hand, I want to go in on my own and face the music so to speak, and take responsibility for my actions that lead me to this meeting, but, at the same time, a supportive, friendly face could be nice.

I'm already anxious. Even though I've not seen it mentioned in the posts, my biggest fear is that the trustee will call out to everyone in the room my mountain of debt, creditor by creditor.

BTW, I'm in West Virginia, filing under Chapter 7.

When I had my 341 I did notice a few people had friends or family with them. I watched about an hours worth of 341 cases before mine and there wasn't one incident where the trustee announced anyone's debt. They are not there to tar and feather you, just to make sure you were truthful and to determine if you have any assets that can be used to pay your creditors. As long as you are honest and your paperwork is in order, you'll be fine. It really is quick and painless.

As for your fiance, I would say do what makes you feel comfortable. When I had my 341, I did notice that a few people waited outside the 341 room while their friend or family had their hearing. So that may be another option if you prefer your fiance not be in the room with you while your being asked the questions. Whatever you decide to do, good luck to you.
    Filed Chapter 7 on July 30, 2010
    341 scheduled for August 26, 2010 - Done! - Report of No Distribution
    Discharged!!! - November 15, 2010

Comment

I had my 341 this past Wed. in MD and one thing that I noticed several times were signs that said that family members and others that have accompanied the debtor were not allowed in the room where 341s were being conducted. There was a specified waiting area for anyone that accompanied the debtor. I did see several individuals that were waiting in the designated areas resulting with debtors and attorneys as the only people in the 341 meeting room.

Regarding the calling out of debt in front of everyone, everyones in the bankruptcy boat. The trustee would call the debtors name and the respected individual and their lawyer (if they had one) would go before the trustee. The trustee asked basic questions regarding the petition and would then ask various specific questions if needed. I'm assuming she reviewed the files before had and took notes as needed pertaining to each case. A few time she went into details where she saw fit with various individuals on specific topics of their petition, but bankruptcy is bankruptcy and everyone one has their ups and downs.

Some people were worse position than me, but there are some that seemed in a better position. Doesn't matter if they call out the information, chances are there are people that are in worse positions and its not like you plan on staying in touch with people in the room.

Chin up, you'll be fine!
      8-15-10 : filed petition
      9-15-10 : 341 meeting
      11-15-10: hopeful discharge date?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X