Tax Refund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Refund

I recently had my chapter 13 plan confirmed. My 2005 tax refund was divided by 12 and added to my schedule I of current income. Has this happened to anyone else? So I would imagine I could adjust my withholdings or I will get to keep my 2006 refund if it is about the same. This seems strange because unless I adjust my withholdings now my income is overinflated until I get my refund this spring?

Originally posted by dylancarly View Post
    I recently had my chapter 13 plan confirmed. My 2005 tax refund was divided by 12 and added to my schedule I of current income. Has this happened to anyone else? So I would imagine I could adjust my withholdings or I will get to keep my 2006 refund if it is about the same. This seems strange because unless I adjust my withholdings now my income is overinflated until I get my refund this spring?
    I've NEVER heard of this happening before. Normally, either they just take your whole tax return and apply it towards creditors or they let you keep it if it is under a certain amount, or they let you keep it regardless.

Maybe this is something under the new law that I am not aware of, but this sounds really odd to me.
    Date Filed: 12/19/2004
    341 Meeting: 2/8/2005
    Date Case Confirmed: 7/12/2005
    Closed on Refinance/Chapter 13 Buyout 8/23/06

Comment

This is odd. You're the first person I've seen to say this has happened to them.

Generally, in Ch 13, the Trustee will not address the income tax refund, state they want the whole thing, or folks here have said their Trustee will allow them to keep $1000-$1500 of the refund and the Trustee takes the rest.

May be it's the way your particular attny figured the plan.

May be that's the way this particular Trustee works.

May be that's just the way your particular Court approaches Income Tax refunds in Ch 13 filings.
      Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
      Discharged - 12/2006
      Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
      Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

I can't imagine how this could be included as "disposable" income. It's money that the government took AWAY from your disposable income. If they want to count it as disposable income they should not take it out in taxes.
        Date Filed: 12/19/2004
        341 Meeting: 2/8/2005
        Date Case Confirmed: 7/12/2005
        Closed on Refinance/Chapter 13 Buyout 8/23/06

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X