Balance on Credit Card After Discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balance on Credit Card After Discharge

Hi, I have not posted in a long time and I have been searching, but I can't find anything about this here. I filed Chapter 13 in 2011 and received my discharge letter 4 years later. Recently I decided to check my Credit Report and found that out of about 20 cards that all read 0 balances, Citibank claims that I still have a balance of $22,000. It also appeared that they kept adding interest and late charges. This card was included in my bankruptcy.

Is there anything I can do to about this? My credit score is in the low 500's. Not that I care, but I'm afraid if I have to purchase a car, or sell my house and buy another. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Lilly

Did you dispute it with the credit bureaus? Or call CITI directly. They should fix.

Comment

Originally posted by df04527 View Post
      Did you dispute it with the credit bureaus? Or call CITI directly. They should fix.
      I agree but I doubt the credit companies can do too much. It is the bank card that should correct this. They are prodding you to make a payment. Be careful as if you would, it could be tantamount to renewing this debt. Be careful as I could be wrong but I would address their legal department. Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

HI Hub, long time no hear. There should be no issue with the bureau's. When a debt they are reporting is disputed, the bureau sends that dispute directly to the creditor, in this case CITI. CITI then has xx days to respond to bureau with the result of their investigation (in this case they will correct thier records and most likely delete it). If the bureau's don't hear back from creditor in xx days, the bureau's will delete it. There is also zero possibility this, or any other dispute, would renew the debt, especially if it was included in the BK.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Thank you. I will contact Experian next week.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X