Order of Discharge Sept 2016 - Apr 2017 update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Order of Discharge Sept 2016 - Apr 2017 update

It's been a tough decade+ of financial difficulty which drove me to CH13. Last Sept I made it to the discharge. I had vowed while in bankruptcy that I would never possess a credit card again. I'm buried in the mortgage, but since I needed a reliable car (I drive 20k+ miles a year), I figured this made the most sense. Last week I took the first step post discharge in beginning the rebuilding process. My car had 239,000 miles on it with only a bumper-to-bumper lifetime warranty acting as the bandaid. I've been looking for a pickup truck (used) for around 9 months, and found a 2014 Ram 1500 I really liked. It was at a Dodge dealership. I honestly was thinking I would have to go to a "shady" used car dealership that advertises as specializing in getting anyone credit to get into a financed car. I chose instead to explore the dealer option first. I honestly wasn't sure what interest rate I could get (or if I could even get financed). During the 5 year CH13 I've been snaking away cash, and had $5,000 saved for a down payment. TIming was right in my CPA practice that I was able to pull out $10k, allowing for a $15k down payment. I ended up financing $20k which included a Tonneau cover and sales tax and a 7-yr 100K bumper to bumper warranty. Through Chrysler (who I had credit with on the other car when I went into bankruptcy), the dealership's finance guy got me 6 years at 8.66% which I thought was amazing in my current situation. So now I have a $368/mo car payment, my first step in building my credit. And I have a vehicle I love too.

Congratulations! I am waiting for my discharge here in Nashville which I have been told will be June. Last payment has been made, mortgage arrears has been paid in full and verified by Wells Fargo. Now just waiting impatiently for my overpayments and notice to start paying my mortgage myself.....

Comment

RetiredArmy - When I was a couple of months out prior to discharge I got in touch with the bank that held my mortgage to make sure that there would be zero gaps when it came time for me to take over the monthly payments from the trustee. They may or may not talk to you prior to discharge but the last thing you need is a late payment on a new start. ;>)
      Filed 11/10/08

Discharged 2/18/14

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X