Thinking about filing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Thinking about filing...

Hello Everyone! I'm thinking about filing bankruptcy and have a consultation with a lawyer on Friday. For years, I've made bad decisions regarding my finances and slowly I've learned that living paycheck to paycheck won't work for me and I want to come into my future marriage with a clean slate.
    Over the years, I've had multiple credit cards and loans that have all snowballed one into the next to pay off the next. I currently have 6 credit cards and 1 personal loan. Recently, I opened a credit card with a lower interest rate and transferred all the balances to that card. Below are my figures.

Monthly income after taxes: $2,000
    Personal loan: $410 (mth) 15.95% interest / Balance = $10,500
    Credit card: $420 (mth) 2% interest / Balance = $20,600
    Student Loan: $120 (on the income based repayment plan)

Will I even qualify for chapter 7? I really have no assets aside from a 2012 Altima. I'm fortunate to live with my fiancé' that pays all the bills and mortgage. However, I am responsible for my car insurance, gas, groceries, etc.
    Are there any questions I need to be prepared for with my consultation?
    I have read over many posts and forums, that filing isn't the end of the world and isn't as bad as people think, but it still feels embarrassing.

I don't know enough to offer advice, except definitely see a few attorneys and try to find one with a good reputation and experience in BK . If you don't like them in your gut don't go with them find another.
    I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X