Renting while in bankruptcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting while in bankruptcy

I’ve been in ch 13 bankruptcy 28 months and I live in a smaller town so I was able to rent my current place with a co-signer a few months after filing. Now that I’m moving to Atlanta I can’t find any apartments or rental companies that will rent to people with open bankruptcies. It says that it will automatically deny me in the criteria for every place I’ve found. When I ask if I could just use a co-signer or pay a higher deposit they tell me the application would automatically be rejected because my case is open. I’m paying my case off as soon as I hit 36 months but I need to find somewhere to live now. Anybody ever gone through this? Any suggestions? I can’t afford extended stays or monthly airbnbs (they cost upwards of $3,000 monthly in atl) and I have a 2 year old daughter so I want a safe living environment.

I had major apartment management companies tell me the same thing; at least that is what their website stated.

I had an open and active Chapter 13 and their website said it would be instant denial. I was in year 4 of 5 with 12 months to go. I was approved and with the minimum security deposit (which was 1/6th of the rent). What I have found is that your score, income, and length of employment at same employer is the strongest indicator. I not only applied at the one place, but also applied at 3 more major luxury apartments and were approved for all of them (I paid the $40 credit application fee... mostly just to see if I'd be approved).

So your mileage may vary. I had zero (0) issues applying and being approved in my active Chapter 13. I had zero (0) denials from the four luxury apartment management companies.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Omg thank you. I’ll keep searching and just apply and see what happens.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X