Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential increase in child support

Hi,
    I am going to (potentially) have an increase in child support.
    It won't be a whole lot, probably. Do I report this to the trustee?
    I am about 7 months into a 58 month plan. Not paying 100%......I think my repayment percentage on unsecured's in 4.97%.

My plan is confirmed. I most recently got a paper from the trustee saying, here's all the claims that have been received....these are the only ones that are going to be paid, unless someone objects.

Any insight from this very helpful board?

Thanks!

If your CS does increase, will it affect your ability to make your Chapter 13 plan payments, if no, then I wouldn't worry about it. If yes, then you could modify your plan and lower your chapter 13 plan payment.

Comment

I agree. If it goes up a whole lot, like a couple of hundred dollars, I would petition to modify the plan. But if it is only like $50, I wouldn't bother.
      Date Filed: 12/19/2004
      341 Meeting: 2/8/2005
      Date Case Confirmed: 7/12/2005
      Closed on Refinance/Chapter 13 Buyout 8/23/06

Comment

No....I might be getting more.
        Noboby knows what the court will decide, of course, but it's not been updated since 2000 --

How about that -- if you GET more, do you have to report it?

:-)

Comment

Child support is FOR THE CHILD. It should have no bearing whatsoever on your Ch 13. If you don't need the money for your children right now, put it into a college savings account!

Comment

Originally posted by cso5@ View Post
            No....I might be getting more.
            Noboby knows what the court will decide, of course, but it's not been updated since 2000 --

How about that -- if you GET more, do you have to report it?

:-)

No, you don't have to report it.

Comment

I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but if you are claiming the child/children as dependents on the 13 you DO have to report it. At least the Judge and trustee came after us for it. $700 a month child support that went TO our daughter for college was added as part of our income PER the COURT. Now that we no longer have the child support income, it's been changed to an educational order, it is no longer counted as part of our income. Sadly they still have not made any attempt to modify my plan payment since the decrease after a number of request. You need to ask your attorney on this one for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by EmmaT View Post
                Child support is FOR THE CHILD. It should have no bearing whatsoever on your Ch 13. If you don't need the money for your children right now, put it into a college savings account!

But it does have bearing on your ch 13. It is still considered income, and has to be shown. We had to include Social Security Survivor's benefits paid to us for our son as income when we filed. Theoretically, I guess they could look at it like this---- you are getting x amount per month for the support and upkeep of the child. Therefore you have x amount per month of your own income that you do not have to spend on the child and can spend on the bankruptcy payback.
                Chapter 13 filed -8/12/04
                Plan approved- 7/11/05
                Date discharged--10-12-2007
                Date closed- 12/6/2007:yes2::yes2:

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X