Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bonuses-Do you have send to Trustee?

Hello all!
    This is my 2nd posting so please bear with me, and thanks for any and all replies! Since it is the Christmas season, and near end of the year I have a question regarding employer type bonuses....

If you receive a "cash" Christmas bonus from your employer at say a Christmas party - do you have to turn that into the Trustee? This is a small bonus ($50) perhaps.

Also -if you receive some type of Christmas or year end bonus ~ that is "outside" of your normal paycheck - (and therefore the funds would not be wage garnished normally to the Trustee), do those have to also be given directly to the Trustee? If not, this money could be used to pay down on winter utilties or be put towards a new furnace, which I desparately need.

Has anyone ever ran into a situation where they received a rather "small" bonus gratuity from there employer at the Christmas holiday for not more than a few hundred dollars? In check form?

I can't reach my Attorney. Will I open a can-of-worms, if I call the Trustee?

Many thanks, and Happy Holiday's to one and all!

If it was me I wouldn't say a word but that's me.

Comment

I agree with Peevee, I wouldn't say anything.

Comment

Bonuses-Do you have send to Trustee?

Thank's! For the suggestion's ~ I just didn't know what to do, and I was looking for input. I really need this money for bill's etc. See, even if I do call my Attorney - he or his paralegals will charge almost $$$ just to answer my question!!!!

As, we all know how hard Ch. 13 is. And with Christmas season being here, also ~ it bring's the stress level even higher.

I am trying to make sure that all mi i's are "dotted" and t's are "crossed" for the next several years. My furnace is almost 25 years old, and it is not going to last this season. My gas bill is extremely high due to this. Being in 13, there is just - no extra money - no where to get extra money. My tax return's have to do the Trustee.

Sorry to rant and rave. But, if this bonus does come thru - it would be my little Christmas Angel and saving Grace - (It is the guilt factor of not being honest? When I should be? Aargh! That's the problem of Ch. 13 - always have the Trustee hanging over your head....

Anyway ~ I think this is a very nice site, and have found it very helpful

Comment

My wife just got a higher paying job an increase of $5 per hour. I figured they would go ahead and adjust our payback. He told us to wait till she had her 90 day probationary time in and then we could fill out a new schedule of monthly expenses. I'm hoping it doesn't increase by much because we are going to try and buy out at 36 months.

Comment

My bonus, and yours, is still reported to the IRS by your employer. So if you got one for roughly the same amount last year, they already figured it as part of your income. So, no, I wouldn't tell them I got it, I'd use it just like you. And as for your attorney charging you for calling and asking questions, that's B.S., as you have paid, either up front, or through the plan, for your attorney's services for the ENTIRE time you are in chapter13. They don't get to do add ons $$$ because they had to spend more time than they thought. At least not in the state where I am. If I'm totally off base here somebody please step in and tell me please.

Comment

Bonuses-Do you have send to Trustee/Atty followup?

Thanks! I working on this bonus situation.

Now as for my Attorney - Should my Attorney still help me out w/questions going into 2nd year of Ch. 13?

See, he has stepped down (Health issues,is no longer practicing law), and another Attorney just recently took over all of his clients.

I had to sign a paper and was told that going forward any and all expenses would come out of my pocket! But any plan changes would come out of the plan? Doe's that make any sense - or maybe I have it wrong - would all expenses going forward come out of the plan - all I know is that my old Attorney told me to "carefully calculate", any and all question I had for the new attorney going forward regarding my Chaper13 ~
              As there would be a charge for each and every call I made. Just as anyone would have when they retained an Attorney.

He told me that I had been lucky with him for the last 6 months (this was not even a year into my case), that he didn't charge me each time I called him and asked him question about my case. That I should consider it a gesture of "good will" from him.
              This is where I was just a little confused, as I always thought that you had to have an Attorney for your entire Ch. 13? Maybe, I am wrong.

Doe's that make any sense to any one? Sorry, I am ranting again. Trying to stay positive!

Comment

Xtra Money

I've won quiet a chunk of money and haven't told anyone! I mentioned to my lawyer that I did win $1600 bucks at one time, and spent it on necessities and have receipts to back myself up. He said "don't worry about it." You are allowed to keep so much money in your account. I'm a gambler and I'm still in the negative for the year so it will reflect on my taxes (so its not im hiding it) but because im in the negative (as far as wins), Im not worried.

HAPPY SPENDING ! CATCHMEIFYOUCAN

What kind of lawyer do YOU have thats gonna take you for every extra question or phone call you have? Thats ridiculous !
                July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
                Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
                Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
                Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Goodwill from an Attorney

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Originally posted by dweezil View Post

Now as for my Attorney - Should my Attorney still help me out w/questions going into 2nd year of Ch. 13?

See, he has stepped down (Health issues,is no longer practicing law), and another Attorney just recently took over all of his clients.

I had to sign a paper and was told that going forward any and all expenses would come out of my pocket! But any plan changes would come out of the plan? Doe's that make any sense - or maybe I have it wrong - would all expenses going forward come out of the plan - all I know is that my old Attorney told me to "carefully calculate", any and all question I had for the new attorney going forward regarding my Chaper13 ~
                  As there would be a charge for each and every call I made. Just as anyone would have when they retained an Attorney.

He told me that I had been lucky with him for the last 6 months (this was not even a year into my case), that he didn't charge me each time I called him and asked him question about my case. That I should consider it a gesture of "good will" from him.
                  This is where I was just a little confused, as I always thought that you had to have an Attorney for your entire Ch. 13? Maybe, I am wrong.

Doe's that make any sense to any one? Sorry, I am ranting again. Trying to stay positive!
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-05-2006, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dweezil View Post

I thought that too, that once you paid the whole fee, that covered anything, except maybe adversarial filings, but mine wanted another $1000 in addition to the $2500 that we already paid. She also charged everytime we had an issue, and ours was a converted case that we did pro se. All she did was the plan and the confirmation hearing, but I guess that is common practice. You thoughts make sense, and sorry that now I'M ranting
                    Filed CH7 - 10/13/05;
                    341 Meetings: 11/28/05, 3/20/06, 12/4/07 (3d time's a charm!)
                    Converted: 2/15/06 (to CH13), 10/15/07 (Back to CH7)
                    DISCHARGED: 2/15/08

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X