Some Basic Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Basic Questions

I haven't posted on here since last summer. Since then, we have been able to get current on our mortgage. Hubby entered into a DMP program with our local Consumer Credit Counseling office. Just when we thought things were getting back on track, whammo! He was served with a summons from the 2nd
    mortgage provider a couple of weeks ago. This debt is also included on the CCCS program. We are preparing to answer the summons and we have gotten a few suggestions on that. It is hard to find an attorney in our area who will actually help just file a response to a summons. We met with one today but it could go up to $1000 just to debate this with no guarantee that we would win. We really don't have that kind of money to burn. Another lawyer recommended that we file Chapter 13 since the CCCS office isn't doing anything to help us with this and to get our other debts in order. Since he has a loan co-signed by his mother, how does this come into play? I've read that co-signers are protected but does it hit her credit report? Would it be better for her to put the loan in her name only? I don't think she would have a problem with that. We live in Ohio and understand that the secured debts are all paid through the plan, correct? He has a lot of unsecured debt as well so this could be the way to go.

More will Chime in here that are experienced with assets (such as your home), but Ch13 is probably the best way to go to save your house. AND YES, all debts (secured and unsecured) have to be included on your Bankruptcy! The DMP (CCCS) programs can not protect you from lawsuits, judgements etc. ONLY BK has that type of protection.

Best Wishes, Catchmeifyoucan
    July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
    Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
    Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
    Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X