X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 13 Case Dismissed Because of Funding Problem

December 1, 2006
    Chapter 13 Case Dismissed Because of Funding Problem

Yesterday, one of my Chapter 13 cases was dismissed at the confirmation hearing for one reason and one reason only. I had cured all of the trustee's objections and the case was viable. My clients had the income to make the case work and there was no reason at all that this case should not have worked.

The reason for the dismissal - funding.

Chapter 13 functions as a payment plan. It allows debtors to modify the rights of creditors by changing (reducing) monthly payments and sometimes total balances. In some cases it allows us to reduce interest rates. In some cases it allows us to pay back less than 100% to credit cards. It allows debtors who are delinquent on a house or car note to cure that delinquency over time. All in all, Chapter 13 is a very powerful tool.

If a debtor forgets that Chapter 13 is a payment plan, however, it cannot do any of these wonderful things. If you file a Chapter 13 case, you absolutely, 100% must pay the Chapter 13 trustee. Your obligation to pay starts immediately. And if the payroll deduction order does not kick in for a month, the debtor must make up the difference.

In at least 70% of my cases, the Chapter 13 plan payroll deduction does not kick in right away. For most employers a month's delay is what we see. For federal employees, we may have to wait 2 months. Until that payroll deduction kicks in, the debtor has the sole responsibility for sending trustee payments to the Chapter 13 trustee.

In yesterday's case, I had originally filed the case as an emergency filing. The debtor was facing an emergency situation and I filed an incomplete petition to stop a foreclosure. Because funding is so important, I always file a prelimnary payroll deduction order at the same time as my emergency filing. Since I did not have all the debtor's information on hand, I filed a payroll deduction in the amount of $600 per month just to get some money coming in. I told my client that this figure would likely change and that when we filed the actual plan, they would have to keep their plan current.

After putting all of the case information together, I determined that the plan payment needed to be $1,200 per month. I filed a new payroll deduction order. I also advised my clients of their new payment obligation.

At the 341 hearing, I saw that my client's employer had just started the Chapter 13 deductions - the first month's payments had not been made. As we approached confirmation, I noted that the employer was still deducting $600 and had not started the $1,200 deduction. My client, unfortunatley, failed to make up the difference and was $1,200 behind. As my client had no way to come up with $1,200 I had no choice but to allow the case to be dismissed.

What are the lessons here?

do not assume that your Chapter 13 payroll deduction will kick in immediately. In most cases you will have to pay at least one or two trustee payments directly. Prepare for this.

if your plan payment changes, assume that there will be a 30 to 60 day delay in the processing of your new payroll deduction order
    funding of your plan is your responsibility. You cannot put the responsibility on anyone else - not your lawyer, your employer or your trustee
    funding of your plan is the most important factor in determining whether your case will work. If your case is funded, we can get a reset hearing to cure the other problems. If there is no funding the trustees will not be very cooperative.
    Chapter 13 cases are becoming more and more difficult to get approved. If funding is not an issue all of the other problems are that much easier to solve.

http://thebklawyer.com/thebkblog/2006/12/01/chapter-13-case-dismissed-because-of-funding-problem/
    July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
    Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
    Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
    Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

In our case, my husband's employer ended up NEVER taking out our payments. We paid all 36 payments ourselves. Had to be a money order until confirmation but after that we could just write a personal check and mail it. Our payments were received and posted to our account every month and the trustee never complained.

Comment

We pay our funds directly to the trustee each week. When the bankruptcy was set up initially, my husband wanted it this way to keep his work from finding out. He was told it HAD to be thru payroll deductions, but somehow the payroll deductions never materialized. So each and every WEEK I didybop down to either Walmart or the post office (the only two places that allow you to use your debit card to purchase a money order) and get our $275 money order. 7 more to go. It's been a long 3 yerars!

Comment

we did payroll dedution voluntarily. it was eaier. but with job changes, we went back to paying ourselves. I wish we could do a personal check !! Money Orders are such a pain !

I remember when setting up payroll deduction, the trustee was adamant that our monthly payment was made by the 1st. the payroll deduction was only 1/2 month, so we had to come up with other 1/2, making that first month a 1 & 1/2 payment.

lori

Comment

I wish I would have insisted on being able to make the monthly payments ourselves. When we filed 2.5 years ago (6 more months to go!), we were scared, confused, and under the impression we HAD to do it this way. As a result, I feel like my life has been in someone else's hands. And people who I don't care to know my business know my business.

My husband and I could have gotten majorly screwed a few months ago because of payroll deduction incompetence. I was looking on the Ch 13 National Data Web site one evening--not really something I did regularly, something just told me I should look--and I discovered that the trustee hadn't received ANY money from my work for like the last 6 paychecks. But my paystubs were showing the same old things, and I sure as heck wasn't getting that money! I can't figure out why no one ever notified us. Maybe the trustee is pretty laid back, which worked in our favor, I suppose.

It has all since been straightened out. But even after I brought the error to payroll's attention, they dragged their asses for like 2 weeks to get things resolved. I resorted to bothering them daily and telling them I was starting to get very serious calls from my trustee about being delinquent in payments. Yeah, me begging for my own money that I'd earned months before because I was afraid I'd lose my house. Grrr.

End rant. :-)
          jai guru deva om--nothing's gonna change my world...

Comment

That is awesome !

I wish I would have insisted on being able to make the monthly payments ourselves. When we filed 2.5 years ago (6 more months to go!) THAT IS AWESOME ! , we were scared, confused, and under the impression we HAD to do it this way. As a result, I feel like my life has been in someone else's hands. And people who I don't care to know my business know my business.

My husband and I could have gotten majorly screwed a few months ago because of payroll deduction incompetence. I was looking on the Ch 13 National Data Web site one evening--not really something I did regularly, something just told me I should look--and I discovered that the trustee hadn't received ANY money from my work for like the last 6 paychecks. But my paystubs were showing the same old things, and I sure as heck wasn't getting that money! I can't figure out why no one ever notified us. Maybe the trustee is pretty laid back, which worked in our favor, I suppose.

It has all since been straightened out. But even after I brought the error to payroll's attention, they dragged their asses for like 2 weeks to get things resolved. I resorted to bothering them daily and telling them I was starting to get very serious calls from my trustee about being delinquent in payments. Yeah, me begging for my own money that I'd earned months before because I was afraid I'd lose my house. Grrr.
            July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
            Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
            Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
            Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Catch me. I understand your concern. But remember, there's a process here too.
              If you got behind on your trustee payments, they'd respond with a Trustee's Motion to Dismiss.
              Show your paystubs in court which would ID the payroll problem.
              The motion would probably be continued giving you time to fix it.

IMHO, this is much easier that when people somehow fall 3 months behind and suddenly need to scratch together a large sum of money.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X