What to do now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do now?

I try really hard to keep a positive outlook on things. Everything has been going to hell here lately and it's like 1 step forward is inevitably followed by 2 steps backward. I am starting to lose faith. I know that I need to call my attorney and tell him about all this. I'm sure he's got a lot of these calls lately. The recruiter for my company called me and made me an "offer" for a job making 10k less than what I'm making now and I just can't believe that I am even considering it, but I am... The amount that I will bring in montly is $800 (or more) less than I make now, and my trustee payment is $700 a month. How is that going to work? On top of that, new baby comes in April and I don't know what I'm going to do. There is a hiring freeze going on in this industry right now... Everyone is waiting on the outcome of this election. I know what they are waiting for.... They are PRAYING that Obama won't win and that they can continue turning a profit and all sorts of new rules and regulations won't be put on their plate. What sucks is that Obama probably will win and the hiring freeze will continue until they find out what this really means for the future of our industry. I have my resume posted with every Engineering firm in Houston and they all say the same thing... there are no jobs out there right now... I search every stupid job search engine on the internet and there are no jobs within a 100 mile radius (and I'm not exaggerating). To add insult to injury, the job she offered is a Document Control position which is what I've spent the past 4 years clawing my way out of just to make less money in it than I made when I was there in a remedial position with no overtime... which makes up a LARGE portion of my income. Twice today I've made my way to the bathroom to have a regular meltdown with the water running so no one can hear... DF's job won't become steady again until at earliest January and even then, he's always made less than me. I guess I could always convert to a 7 but then I would immediately lose my car that I was behind in payments on and would be stuck. My credit is lousy and I couldn't get another loan. DF can't get a loan because his debt to income ratio is wildly out of whack. I don't have enough money for a cash car, and I am just stressed beyond belief at everything going on. I swear come November 5th I may just commit myself.

Now I'm REALLY Down In It.....
    Disclaimer: Young, NOT Dumb.(._.) The plan: $480 monthly for 60 months at 100%. 07/12/08
    Motion to Discharge: FILED!! 08/07/13
    60 down/0 to go \m/(*.*)\m/ 100% complete!

This just sucks...... I am so sorry.

If you took the new job and filed for C7, could you save enough to buy a $2K car? Would the number difference between your C13 payment and wage cut equal or less?

Maybe if you start re-running the numbers you can find a solution or at least give you something to do that may be effective and keep you occupied for a little bit while you hash it out.

I am just trying to help If it is bad advice, I apologize.
    Filed C7 Aug 31 2008
    341 Oct 8 2008
    Discharged Dec 9 2008

Comment

It just depends on how long it takes them to seize my vehicle. I would be making somewhere along the lines of 800-1500 less a month between regular and over-time. It would take me some months to save up $2000 dollars. And with Christmas and baby right around the corner that may be difficult.. I guess I just wanted to rant and have it actually be heard, DF is playing dumb and not taking this seriously. I guess I'm the only one that this falls on and I have to carry the stress all by myself. No advice at this point is bad advice but really what I want to know is what happens next.
      Disclaimer: Young, NOT Dumb.(._.) The plan: $480 monthly for 60 months at 100%. 07/12/08

Comment

Originally posted by BROKENN View Post
        This just sucks...... I am so sorry.
        I couldn't have put it better. Oh, what a shame, just when things were looking so good for you guys. It sounds as if you really do have to take the job, at least until you can find something better.

That's an awfully bitter pill to swallow, I know...I worked for an academic library for 23 years, and worked my way up to a great job, with people I loved, doing really rewarding work. Did lots of necessary but hideously mind-dulling jobs on the way there. Now that I've been forced back into the workforce, I know I should be really grateful to be employed at all, much less in a world-class institution handling priceless manuscripts every day. But it's sh** work - comparable to what I was doing in about 1983 - and pays about a third of what I used to make. And in this economy, in a college town where every dishwasher and barista has three Ivy League PhDs, I am grateful. Most days.

Go ahead and cry, kiddo, but try to get it out of your system and focus on keeping baby happy and safe. You're just doing what you have to do to make it work for now. I tell myself that every day. One day your kids are going to be telling stories about the sacrifices you made to keep your family going.
        Filed chapter 7: June 9, 2008
        341 meeting: July 18, 2008
        last day for objections: September 16, 2008
        DISCHARGED September 18, 2008 - CLOSED September 29, 2008

Comment

My fear is that even when I take the job I will still have to figure out what to do about the bankruptcy. There is no way that I' be able to fund my plan making $800-1500 less a month.

Comment

Originally posted by NowImDownInIt View Post
            My fear is that even when I take the job I will still have to figure out what to do about the bankruptcy. There is no way that I' be able to fund my plan making $800-1500 less a month.
            Well, I don't know much about 13, other than what I've picked up here, but surely if the money's just not there, you could be converted to a 7? Surely?

I don't know what to say about the car, though...there's GOT to be a way.
            Filed chapter 7: June 9, 2008
            341 meeting: July 18, 2008
            last day for objections: September 16, 2008
            DISCHARGED September 18, 2008 - CLOSED September 29, 2008

Comment

Yes, I could be converted to a 7, but then, I won't have a car and at the moment I'm not sure If I could go without a car. There is no public transportation around here. I no longer live in the vicinty of friends or family that could help me get from place to place. DF works about 40 miles in the opposite direction as me and I don't have immediatly available the kind of money I would need for a cash car.

Comment

Are you losing your current job?

I would look at other factors, such as healthcare. Does your DF's job provide for healthcare for you and the baby? If so, then that may be a non-issue.

I know that day care is super expensive for a newborn - around $1,000 in the Dallas area - so I would guess it's the same for Houston. When gas prices went up after our son was born and we figured out how much my DH was actually bringing home, we decided he would quit his job and be a stay-at-home dad. Our son also has medical issues, so keeping him away from other kids so he can stay well for surgery is a must.

I know I'm rambling . . . just trying to think out loud with you . . .

Comment

Now - so sorry to hear of your dilemma. I am in the opposite situation though. Tomorrow I am going on an interview for a "too die for position" that pays $18k more per year than where I am now. The type of job I have been waiting for FOREVER and they recruited me. If offered the job, do I take it, and possibly screw up my entire bankruptcy filing or decline my dream job??? I feel nausea
                  Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
                  341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
                  Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

Im so sorry sweetie...what kind of exemption can you use for your car if you went to a 7? Which looks like you may have no choice. Unless you can get your payments cut down. You wont know until you talk to your attorney. If you have say a 2k exemption on your car and they do take it, they have to give you that 2k..Then you can use that to buy a cheap car..Just a thought....

Comment

Originally posted by relief13035 View Post
                      Now - so sorry to hear of your dilemma. I am in the opposite situation though. Tomorrow I am going on an interview for a "too die for position" that pays $18k more per year than where I am now. The type of job I have been waiting for FOREVER and they recruited me. If offered the job, do I take it, and possibly screw up my entire bankruptcy filing or decline my dream job??? I feel nausea
                      If I were you, I'd take the position. You are in a 13 right? It'll only be around 5 years at the longest and you need to think about the future beyond it... But do make sure you don't try to keep the new job and the new income from your attorney and trustee.

Comment

Well - I was offered the job this afternoon.
                        We are in Chapter 7. I think I'd better start reading up on Chapter 13 though. Who would have ever thought a new job, making much better money, would cause me stress. The timing couldn't be worse!
                        Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
                        341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
                        Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

We are in Chapter 7. I think I'd better start reading up on Chapter 13 though. Who would have ever thought a new job, making much better money, would cause me stress. The timing couldn't be worse!
                          I would talk with your contact and explain your position. Tell them this is your dream job. Tell them because of health care costs and other things your filing bankruptcy. Ask if you they would be willing to hire you for the current amount you make. Tell them this is your dream job and making more money would cause more stress because of bankruptcy laws.

I know it's embarrassing. However, you get a chance to show your stuff and you have a resume builder job. Who wouldn't hired a qualified person for less? Or something similar along those lines..

Comment

In such case, I would suggest what Mi-Bankrupcty is suggesting. Don't go 13 if you don't have to. They are going to find out about your BK regardless, when they run the background/credit check, and maybe you can spin it to be a probationary thing. Like 3 months making close to what you are making now, then you get the increase.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X