Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re: BK-13 and my Part-Time Job

Hi All,

I am contemplating (already spoke with some attorneys) filing for BK-13 in the next 2-3 months. I have a full-time job and a second part-time job working at a hotel during the weekends. I have been at this PT job for about 8 months. I took the job to help cover my expenses and of course piles of credit card debt.

I understand when I finally take the plunge to file my ch-13, I need to disclose all my income sources.

Question: Let's say the plan is approved based on my FT and PT jobs. I really don't like working at the PT job so I decide to quit in - let's say 6 months after the plan is confirmed.

How does a Trustee view this? I am at a lost because I am not sure if I should quit my PT job BEFORE I file or wait after it is confirmed. **If I could help it, I would rather just keep my stable FT job and let the PT job go.

Your thoughts and opinions or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    Filed March 2009

Quit your PT job before you even talk to an attorney.

Comment

The income that is used to determine your filing is the 6 months prior to the BK file date. So say you file Dec 31, then all of your income from July 1 - Dec 31 is used. If you have both jobs that income counts. Drop the PT job if you don't like it and are not going to continue it through the bk
      Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
      Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Thanks everyone.

If I decided to keep the PT job since I have been working there for more than 6 months AND will file within the next 2 months does that mean the bk-13 petition will include this pt wages right?

Let's say the plan is based on my 2 jobs but later next summer I either are let go or I voluntarily quit the pt job, does that mean I have to notify the trustee asap?

I sort of feel like I might be "trapped" in the pt job for the life of the plan --- I mean anything could happen between now and 60 months.

What if I did quit but got another pt job let's say a month or 2 later?

Thanks
        Filed March 2009

Comment

Simon,

I was in exactly your situation when I filed. My attorney told me in no uncertain terms to quit my second job. You don't want to have that income calculated in your payment amount.

At my 341, I asked the trustee's assistant about working a sesonal part time job for Christmas money. She said their would be no issue becuase it wasn't cong to increase my income by 10%.

Stop your second job now!!!
          Filed Chapter 13 05/23/08
          Converted to Chapter 7 Jan 2012
          Discharged April 2012

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X