Tuition Reimbursement question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuition Reimbursement question

I work full time and currently in school. I get $3,000 a year from my employer for tuition reimbursement. Is this counted as income on chapter 13? I plan on using that money and sending it straight to the student loan corp so I won't owe that when I am out of college.
    Although, this year, I used the money to help pay bills since I owe so much but once I am in ch 13, I want to send that money to the student loan corp...will the trustee take that money? Will they count it as income?
    "Don't let your wants overload your a**"
    (author unknown)

My tuition was not taxable and when I filed my attorney excluded it and my trustee didn't have any issue with it. Mine was about $5000/year.

Comment

bump

anyone else have tuition reimbursement from job? Is this considered income on means test?
      "Don't let your wants overload your a**"
      (author unknown)

Comment

as long as it is being reimbursed non-taxably, you have no issues.
        Filed Chapter 13 05/23/08
        Converted to Chapter 7 Jan 2012
        Discharged April 2012

Comment

I've not had exact experience with what you describe, but I'm surmising, your tuition benefit would be taxable and should be included as income for your 13.

I work in higher ed and we get tuition benefits. We don't actually touch the money, but it does show up as taxable income to us at the end of the year.

Since my husband works at the same institution, I don't carry health insurance and get cash back once a year. This too is taxable to us.

Both would be on our tax return. Since the health insurance money showed up on a monthly check, it was included in our means test.

Could your employer pay your tuition directly?

Comment

we can get reimbursed for tuition and its not taxed.
            Filed August 09, all payments made as of July 12th, 2013.....Waiting on final audit and discharge!

Comment

I receive %100 reimbursement from my employer and anything over $5200 is considered taxable income at the federal level. I used about $6500 last year and $2880 so far this year already. However, my lawyer has told me that I shouldn't be worried about it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X