Should I stop paying my credit cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I stop paying my credit cards

I am anticipating filing for Chapter 13 on 3/1/09. Why 3/1/09? Because after speaking with my attorney, he said due to a lawsuit I have with CitiFinancial ($15k loan piling up with plaintiff attorney fees) and they now have filed a motion for summary judgement - the hearing is on 3/9/09.

Anyway, I have about 15 credit cards outstanding with about $45k unsecured debt. Mortgage will be paid outside of the plan.

I was wondering 90% of my cards -- I am paying the minimum until this evening I thought ok I am already ignoring AMEX -- I skipped last month's payment and I'm starting to skip WAMU because of their ridiculous 29% interest rate -- going nowhere fast.

I am not sure if I should just bail out on everybody or at least the top 3 credit card creditors and just blow them off or pay them as usual even if I know I need to buy food to live? (AMEX just sent me a letter saying, they have not as of today sent a negative report to the credit bureaus but unless I call them to make payment arrangements or at least tell them what's happening, then they will NOT go to the next level -- collections or a lawsuit.)

The other credit cards I can handle because they have small balances and I pay anywhere between $15 to $35 minimum payment.

What should I do?

Your thoughts and experiences if any would help me get through this.

Thanks.
    Filed March 2009

No expert, but from what I read one should pay on recently open accounts. If you had gotten a cc and charged it up recently, you should have known you were insolvent and this could be a fraud situation. As to my case, I opened a Home Depot cc for the 10% off and 1 year no interest/payment. As such, I am posponing filing for 90 days, paying still on recent opened accts and not on the others. Interest rates are going thru the roof and calls are coming in. Getting hot in the kitchen here, and the flames are rising....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X