American Express sold my debt within 45 days being late

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Express sold my debt within 45 days being late

I just filled 12/16 and just today i rec'd in my mailbox a collection letter from AEGIS Receivable Management, A.Exp sold my debt When Am EX called me last week prior to filing I instructed thier rep that I was filing and call my attorney, Do need to add this collection to my matrix and pay an additional fee to the attorney?
    Filed Chapter 13 12/16/2008 1/30/09 - 341 Meeting
    3/5/09 - Confirmation Meeting-continued July 23rd
    8/23/09- Confirmation Meeting -Continued 1/17/10
    Payment: 60 months plan @ $319.00

Are you sure Amex sold the debt and not 'outsourced' to a collection agency to collect? I have an Amex card and within 2 months, I've had "other CA" trying to collect on Amex's behalf (currently with NCO Financial Systems). I haven't paid since mid May.
    May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
    May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
    May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
    9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

liz417,

The letter states acct was sold, my last payment was in Oct 2008.

Comment

I have amex and they sent it to collections, after 60+ days don't think it was sold though, they sent it to united recovery systems

Comment

Originally posted by mbutterfly View Post
          liz417,

The letter states acct was sold, my last payment was in Oct 2008.
          Gee, maybe creditors are becoming more aggressive about selling the debt if they *think* you might file BK since there are SO many people facing BK right now. To answer your original question: as long as you included the *original creditor* in your matrix, it'll be discharged in your BK. CA's may still attempt to "collect" the debt after discharge, but all you have to do is tell them it was included in your BK.

Good Luck!
          May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
          May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
          May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
          9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

I stopped paying my Amex cards as well in Oct '08 and earlier this month in Dec, after a few phone calls a day, I told Amex that I planned on filing for BK and gave them my attorney's number. I received two letters this week. My gold had been transferred to Aegis Receivables and my Blue card transferred to GC Services.

Not sure what "transferred" means. I think they are just going to attempt to collect on American Express's behalf as the letter states that I can also make payments AMEX too. I don't plan on filing BK till Feb '09.

Comment

i wonder why these people waste their time trying to collect if they know you are going to file?
              "it looks like i picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue"! [McKroskey, airplane]

Comment

It sucks to have to pay more money (esp. what lawyers charge) but if it were me, I'd go ahead and include them. You could look into doing it yourself. It would cost a lot less. I just don't know if you are represented by an attorney if the court would let you do it.
                Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
                341 July 1, 2008
                Discharged September 4, 2008
                Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

Comment

deleting message--thought we were talking about a chapter 7.

ep
                  California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

We did rec'd a letter from Am Exp closing our account .......Due to our intension to file bk your account will be closed! Well now we know what Am Exp is up to!

Comment

however the question was what to do. You definitely need to add these creditors to your matrix. They need to be notified so they can collect the debt. If sold, then your credit report from Amex has to show zero balance. If the debt buyer reports to the bureau, they can show the debt but the date of first delinquency must match what Amex had. If they actually sold off your debt, then Amex has nothing to do with you or your account anymore.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X