Retained an Attorney today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retained an Attorney today

Well, we have started down the road of BK.....I retained an attorney, the fourth I consulted with. He really took time, answered all of our questions. I was very pleased! (Thanks Optimistic) His retainer was $500. Total fee is $3500. We owe another $1500 before we file. I just sent over all of my income,expenses and creditors. They have a really cool site that I can just enter everything from home so no filling out paperwork!
    I hope the rest will go as smooth as our consult. I am feeling optimistc! If the income is where it needs to be then we will file in the next few weeks.
    Just wanted to share.....
    Last edited by sassiebaz; 04-23-2009, 07:19 PM. Reason: cant spell today

Good for you Sarah!! I am proud of you, and a little jealous, I wish I hired them first! Hopefully I will be able to use that benefit through my employer. Let us know how everything goes for you.

Comment

Thanks Optimistic! The thing I forgot to ask was, do I start answering my phone and give these "crazies" my attorney's phone number? I will call his secretary tomorrow.

Comment

I would.

Comment

I did just that, so far only some have called though I'm only one payment behind. They did ask what Ch I was filing but I wasn't sure what to say so I said to call my lawyer. I will say this.....so far the people I have talked to have been very nice and understanding.

Mark
          Filed September 15 2009
          Confirmed December 15 2009 :yahoo
          Discharged! 1/31/12 New beginning has begun!

Comment

I always tell them I'm filing a 13, which honestly I am. For two reasons.

1. They know they might be getting money out of me through the BK.

2. They know if they sue, and I file months later, the trustee will want it all back anyway. And they would have wasted money on attorneys and court filing.

Comment

I always told them "either Ch 7 or Ch 13 "

At the time I did not know if I was going to be put into a 13 or not......all they want is something for their notes.
              Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
              Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

We retained our attorney today as well. We actually went through chap 7 over 3 yrs ago, so we went back to the attorney we used for that cause it seemed to go well then- so hopefully it'll be 2 for 2. Can't believe we are back in this position, but what do you do when you have 11,000 in medical, 15,000 in back taxes and 4,000 in credit? What sucks for us is this time we're losing our house and my car. We have 2 kiddos that are 6 and 4 (one with special needs.) Oh well, such is life I guess. At least we have each other! LOL

Comment

Yeah well I may have jumped the gun here! Chrysler called so I happily gave them my attorney's info. The guy started drilling me about where the vehicle was, where I work, and what kind of BK we are filing. I ended up hanging up on him after he said "We are on our way to get this vehicle". I'm a little spooked, but I guess not surprised. I'll just be watching my back for the next little while!

Comment

Scare tactics as usual, just garage the vehicle until you file and sort things out. Once the automatic stay is in place, I dont think they can even repossess it, but I may be mistaken.

Comment

You are right according to my attorney. The automatic stay prevents then from doing anything for, I believe 60 days. So, oh well. My husband is driving it now and we park it in the garage anyways. If things go well with the income and such, we'll file in the next 3 weeks.....

Comment

Hi and congrats on getting the ball rolling...sounds like you've got yourself a good attorney
                        May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                        May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                        May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                        9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sassiebaz View Post
                          You are right according to my attorney. The automatic stay prevents then from doing anything for, I believe 60 days. So, oh well. My husband is driving it now and we park it in the garage anyways. If things go well with the income and such, we'll file in the next 3 weeks.....
                          With all the repos going on, three weeks is most likely more than enough time before the repo man even gets any paperwork on it. And even if they do repossess it, you can still get it back from them, as long as they didn't resell it already, which is unlikely considering the economy.

Comment

Originally posted by liz417 View Post
                            Hi and congrats on getting the ball rolling...sounds like you've got yourself a good attorney
                            Thanks! Ya know BK is never easy, but I will feel some major relief when we actually file.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X