Filed yesterday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filed yesterday!

Just thought I'd share my experiences with you from our appointment with the attorney yesterday and having filed our chapter 13.

We fell under the median income by just $800 and we had about $100 DMI. We discussed filing ch13 vs ch7 and basically there was three reasons why we went with a 13: 1) 18 year old son just came back home from college to live with us and the attorney said that our household size would be questioned and we would probably have to go through litigation for a ch7 since our median income was so close 2) our house payments are excessive for our area (Missouri...in an Amish community) and it would have to go to a high level U S Trustee for approval in a ch 7 and 3) I have about $6K a year in business expenses that I receive payment on that are not included in my median income. Basically we are at our limits on everything needed for a ch 7and he thought it could be litigated longer, thus costing us more in attorney fees and delay in getting it confirmed .

The result: We have a 3 year plan of $125/month to discharge $107,000 in unsecured cc. Another good thing is that we won't have to surrender one of our vehicles and the other $2,000 in attorney fees (for a ch 13) are wrapped into the plan.

One thing I didn't know that my attorney did for us, is he prorated our estimated tax refund next year into our anticipated income. Then he expensed it out so that we can keep our tax refund next year without having to surrender it to the trustee. I didn't know about that so for those people who haven't filed yet, you can try to make this work for you too.

All-in-all this went well. I do feel a little bit like we were swayed towards a 13 instead of a 7 and wonder if the attorney would have fought for us if we had decided on filing a ch 7. But if you look at it in a financial sense, we are paying $125 x 36 months= $4,500 in the chapter 13 that includes keeping one car and wrapping in the attorney fees. If we would have filed ch 7, we would have had to pay the attorney $800 more for his fees on our own for a ch 7 and we would have lost a vehicle valuing about $3,500 which totals $4,300.

The hardest part of the 13 to me is feeling like I'm on financial probabtion for 3 years and not being able to buy/sell any assets and to have to ask permission to do things. Plus, my father and mother are elderly and I hope that they don't pass away during this time because obviously I'd be heart broken but also any inheritance would go to the trustee. But I did incur those cc debts and I do feel the proposed result is fair.

Here's hoping it gets confirmed without much problems...
    CH13 filed 5/21/09; 341 6/17/09; confirmed 7/14/09]
    Discharged: 7/25/12

I bet it feels good to have a "plan" set up. I know what you mean about the probation.
    Its looking like I will be filing ch13 in july (not sure, just want to file now and get it started).
    The lawyer I spoke to said that my payments would be around $500 a month for 5 years. I have $34,000 dollars in cc debt and owe $2219 in taxes for '08. He said it would take my debt down to $22,000. So, Im wondering if state/area makes a diffrence in your payments and amounts you will owe total. Yours seems super low, and if I could get it that low, it would be awsome! Since going over my budget last week, even without my cc payments I dont make enough...

Comment

good god, $125 a month for 3 years, sounds like heaven on earth to get rid of 107k in cc debt. Good for you!

Comment

Sounds like a great deal to me. Three years is a small price to pay for being debt free after that time period. Good for you....

Comment

That sounds AMAZING! I started in a 3 year plan paying 700 a month on a little less than 30k debt. Now I am paying 398 a month for 59 months. Poo! You are going to make it through easy!
          Disclaimer: Young, NOT Dumb.(._.) The plan: $480 monthly for 60 months at 100%. 07/12/08
          Motion to Discharge: FILED!! 08/07/13
          60 down/0 to go \m/(*.*)\m/ 100% complete!

Comment

One thing I didn't know that my attorney did for us, is he prorated our estimated tax refund next year into our anticipated income. Then he expensed it out so that we can keep our tax refund next year without having to surrender it to the trustee. I didn't know about that so for those people who haven't filed yet, you can try to make this work for you too.

Our attorney did the same thing to save our tax return. Approximately $12000 per year. We thought it couldn't be done. Well, it can we are confirmed and the tax return is all ours!

All the Best to you.

Comment

Thanks everyone! Yes, $125/mo is awesome! I really hope that our plan gets confirmed "as is." My lawyer told me to be prepared for creditor disputes and the trustee arguing points. He said in about 95 percent of cases, something is disputed so he wants for me to be mentally prepared for it.

BKSMITH....awesome tax refund! Now my question is if my refund is larger than the amount we anticipated, I bet we have to report it to the trustee. Is that right?
              CH13 filed 5/21/09; 341 6/17/09; confirmed 7/14/09]
              Discharged: 7/25/12

Comment

Originally posted by Billssuck View Post
                Thanks everyone! Yes, $125/mo is awesome! I really hope that our plan gets confirmed "as is." My lawyer told me to be prepared for creditor disputes and the trustee arguing points. He said in about 95 percent of cases, something is disputed so he wants for me to be mentally prepared for it.

BKSMITH....awesome tax refund! Now my question is if my refund is larger than the amount we anticipated, I bet we have to report it to the trustee. Is that right?
                I never asked my attorney that question. If our return was 12500 instead of 12000. Would the trustee really care? Don't know.

Now, if it was 17000 instead of 12000 maybe they would. I just don't know.

This begs the question: If the return was 17000 instead of 12000 would the trustee know? Also, if we spent the extra on home repair, auto repair or medical expenses would we be ok if the trustee eventually found out?

The thing is there is really now way our return would fluctuate that much.

Good question though.

Comment

What happens if for some reason you get back less than originally budgeted for your tax return? I mean if you are paying say an extra $1000/month so you can keep your $12,000 return, but conditions change and you only get back $8000, does that mean the trustee will give you back your $4000 or are you just out of luck? And why not change your with-holdings so that you don't get back such a huge tax return in the 1st place? Must have some kind of complicated tax situation that makes that difficult I guess.
                  Filed CH 13 September 17, 2007
                  Plan Modified July 8, 2009 from $1100/month to $400/month due to change in income, finally discharged in July of 2013!

Comment

Originally posted by woeisme View Post
                    What happens if for some reason you get back less than originally budgeted for your tax return? I mean if you are paying say an extra $1000/month so you can keep your $12,000 return, but conditions change and you only get back $8000, does that mean the trustee will give you back your $4000 or are you just out of luck? And why not change your with-holdings so that you don't get back such a huge tax return in the 1st place? Must have some kind of complicated tax situation that makes that difficult I guess.
                    We have done this for several years now. Some people say it is a free loan to the government for a year. We look at it like forced savings. Kind of like a Christmas club account at 0%. We use it to pay our town taxes for the year and our vacation and house/car repairs. The vacation thing is out the window now.

Since before the BK we never really budgeted. Income kept going up. So why? Stupid in hindsight. So, to us, the extra $12000 in late February or early March was pretty cool. Now we need it to really survive.

Also, the one thing we new. In the back of our minds was that the extra in our paychecks would just be squandered away. This way we would have a big chunk of cash in Feb/March to use. Unorthodox? Maybe. But, it kept us going for years in our denial. Now, it is a part of our plan/budget. Otherwise without it we really couldn't make our plan.

Crazy I know. But, it works for us.

Comment

Considering Chapter 13...Questions?

Sorry... meant to make my own thread.
                      BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
                      Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X