creditor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

creditor question

Is it adviseable to let creditors know (when they call me) that it's my intent to file BK in July/august? Will they try to speed up their collection efforts then, or leave me alone?

thx.

For us, we did not notify anyone about anything until we had retained an attorney. Ignored calls from any number that was not known. Once you tell them you are filing they want a case number or the calling doesn't stop. I did stop a repo when I informed them that I was filing and gave them the attorneys name and number.
    Filed 11/10/08

Discharged 2/18/14

Comment

My attorney told me it was okay to tell them I was filing (before I did) and to give the collectors his name and number. The paralegal in the attorneys office said AT A MINIMUM, they usually won't start wage garnishments for 4-6 months after being late on payments. It just takes too long with the legal process to have you served a subpoena, see a judge, and then to get the garnishment approved. And if that was to happen, your attorney can motion that you are filing BK and it would be postponed or denied pending filing.

In my case, the collectors continued to call until I was able to give them my case number. At that point they had to stop calling anyway because the automatic stay was in force. My phone is much more pleasant now and I don't worry anymore at work when the phone rings (that's the part I hated the most about this whole process).
      CH13 filed 5/21/09; 341 6/17/09; confirmed 7/14/09]
      Discharged: 7/25/12

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X