Change in Familial Status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change in Familial Status

Hi, Just found out we are pregnant. Wanted to see if this has changed anyone's payments. We pay $600 for 5 years. Things are pretty tight as it is. A child on top of this is gonna be tough. So wanted to see what others have done, and if trustee lowered their payments.

Has anyone else gone through this during their Chapter 13.

Thank you, I am new to this board. Found it today!

Of course it would change your payments, the question is, will you do anything about it, because it is up to you to do so. Obviously the expense of a child is a big one, so you will need to make some changes.

You should be able to file a motion to modify your payments, or you might even be able to convert your case to a Chapter 7, as you would now either pass part 1, or part 2 of the means test.

Of course, your particular plan details we know nothing about, so you should try and post what your plan entails such as what is it that you are paying on in the plan?

Did you hire an attorney to file your initial 13?

Comment

We have actually had 2 children (only had 3 when we started) during our 13. We didn't ask for any adjustments, we just kept plugging along. I guess it balances out any small raises that my husband received over the last 4 years? Do you think you can still live off what you do now after the baby comes? Do you expect to receive a lot of the big necessities from a baby shower or will you have to purchase those yourself? You should look into second hand things and there are lots of ways to make having a baby much less expensive than it can appear to be. Do you need daycare, that's a big expense. Sounds like a call to your attorney or trustee is in order. Good Luck, and I hope you have an uneventful pregnancy and a healthy newborn!

N~~

Comment

Hi northpalm: welcome to the forum and congratulations on the news of your new family member. You will want to let your attorney know so that the proper adjustments to your plan can be made.

You might want to peruse some of the posts by member, NowImDownInIt. She was planning for a CH 13 and found she was pregnant. Here is a link to some of her posts:

Good wishes to you and your family!
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Right,

NowImDownInIt filed a motion to modify her plan, just as I suggested in the first reply, her plan payment is reduced due to increased expenses, it does cost a little up front, it all depends on your attorney.

All you have to do is contact your attorney and ask them to file a Motion to Modify the Chapter 13 Plan. You will need to go to the office and supply the attorney with new, updated income and budget information, which explains why you cannot make your normal Chapter 13 payment, but it is well worth the 2 hours of time and extra couple hundred bucks to save yourself on a monthly basis.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X