top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Social Security and Supplimental Security Income (SSI) as ONLY sources of income

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social Security and Supplimental Security Income (SSI) as ONLY sources of income

If my ONLY sources of income are Social Security and Supplimental Security Income (SSI-a low income source of income administered through Social Securtiy) am I allowed to file a Chapter 13?

From Nolo Chapter 13 Bankruptcy book,

2. You Must Have Stable and Regular Income
    You must have "stable and regular" income to be eligible for Chapter 13 bankruptcy. That doesn't mean you must earn the same amount every month. But the income must be steady -- that is, likely to continue and it must be periodic -- weekly, monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, seasonal or even annual. You can use the following income to fund a Chapter 13 plan:

regular wages or salary
    income from self-employment
    wages from seasonal work
    commissions from sales or other work
    pension payments
    Social Security benefits (although one court has ruled that Social Security payments do not constitute regular income to fund a Chapter 13 plan)
    disability or workers' compensation benefits
    unemployment benefits, strike benefits and the like
    public benefits (welfare payments)
    child support or alimony you receive
    royalties and rents
    gifts of money from relatives or friends, and
    proceeds from selling property, especially if selling property is your primary business.

So as long as you have enough $$$ left after living reasonably, then you should be able to propose a confirmable plan, as long as you pay what needs to be paid.

Comment

A new ruling states that SS payments of ANY sort are exempt. Even large lump-sum payments (17k in the court decision at hand).

They cannot be legally taken for any reason. Whether they can be considered as a source to fund a CH 13 I do not know. The ruling I cite (which is linked in another section on the forums), may be too new to have determined the answer to this.
      11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
      12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
      3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X