Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

secured loans and home equity

Hello all,

I have about 1 million in secured debt (with liens on my home) and have 40k of equity in my house.

My question is will I have to pay the the straight 40k over 5 years? My lawyer mentioned that they will take off a 6% sellers fee from the 40k making me only owe around 23k over teh 5 year period. Anyone ever hear of this?

Thanks,
    Dog in PA

what the attorney is saying is that if the trustee were to sell your house to get that 40 K to pay off your creditors, you or the trustee would pay a broker to do that so hence, the seller fees, which would reduce the amount from 40 k to 25 k. So you would have to pay back 25 k cause that is all the trustee would get if he seized your home and sold it.

Comment

Originally posted by rrockinggramma View Post
      what the attorney is saying is that if the trustee were to sell your house to get that 40 K to pay off your creditors, you or the trustee would pay a broker to do that so hence, the seller fees, which would reduce the amount from 40 k to 25 k. So you would have to pay back 25 k cause that is all the trustee would get if he seized your home and sold it.
      Yup Thats what he said. Has anyone actually used this method?

Comment

My attorney did a "liquidation analysis" on my home which came in appraised at wayyyy over what I thought it would. At any rate it left me with about $70k in equity but by the time my attorney did his thing, after the fees, etc. it came out to only $6k left over in equity (on a ch13). I was ecstatic! I thought I was going to end up having to pay at least the $70k I had in equity.
        CH13 - filed 30 JUL 09, $1521 @ 60 mos (100% payback)
        Done!!! - 01 Jul 2014 I'm free!! Discharged 9/23/14!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X