Buying Time With Smaller Payments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying Time With Smaller Payments

Can I reduce the number of calls from cc's if I made smaller payments vs no payment at all? (I haven't been late or missed yet) I need to wait a year to file and I would like to not get calls at work.

I'm in WI if that makes any difference.

Thanks!
    Attorney Retained/Paid: 1-4-10
    Online CCC-Completed & Cert Received: 1-8-10
    Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.
    341 3-10-10 ~~~ Last Day to Object: 5-10-10

Not really, being in default is being in default. Sending smaller than normal payments is just throwing money away. However, if you want to throw money away, I will give you my PO Box and you can send it to me

Maybe you mentioned this in another thread, but why do you think you need to wait a year?

Comment

My tax refund will be around $5000.00 and I need to use it to catch up on our taxes and utilities but I don't want that counted in our 6mo income average. So I have to wait a whole year.
      Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.

Comment

You happen to live in WI which has very strong protections for consumers against debt collections. Your WI debt collection laws apply to OC's as well as CA's and JDB's.

Don't send small payments, it will not help you stop the calls. Knowing your rights will. Search here to get an idea of WI's protections: http://wilawlibrary.gov/topics/justi...collection.php

Look at www.creditinfocenter.com too in the forum section to see how to use those rights against OC's
        Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
        Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          My tax refund will be around $5000.00 and I need to use it to catch up on our taxes and utilities but I don't want that counted in our 6mo income average. So I have to wait a whole year.
          Even if it is counted in your past 6 months, that does not mean you will be a chapter 13. A chapter 13 payment is determined by your "current" monthly income, not what Form B22C says is your income (at least for now, this issue is on appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court).

You won't have a preference issue by paying taxes or utilities. I think you received some bad information, so long as you get and spend your tax refund before filing BK, you will be fine, no reason to wait a year. Also, waiting a year is probably unrealistic, usually at least one creditor pops up and sues you before then, so you need to clarify your plan.

Comment

I must have misunderstood then about determining monthly income. That is a relief!

I would rather not wait any longer than needed.
            Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.

Comment

As to not getting calls at work...before we quit paying CC's we went to the online accounts and changed contact information. We only listed our cells phones---no calls at home (we turned cell phones off) and no calls at work.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X