Student Loans - Stop paying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Student Loans - Stop paying?

We're headed towards filing at the end of the month. When should we stop paying back the student loans? Pay anything that is due up until we file, and then stop until discharge? Or stop now until discharge?

I had this same question a few weeks ago. The consensus was to continue to pay the student loans since they were up to date and would not be included in the BK anyway. No reason to incur any more charges for a debt that will have to be repaid anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by holycrap View Post
      I had this same question a few weeks ago. The consensus was to continue to pay the student loans since they were up to date and would not be included in the BK anyway. No reason to incur any more charges for a debt that will have to be repaid anyway.
      This is what our lawyer told us to do...but there is a chance the Trustee will not approve the payment outside the plan he may want to increase our pymt by that amt and include the student loan in the bk for the 5 yrs.
      either way we are paying that amt each month....I think we have to be current for it to be approved "outside" the plan.

Filed July 09
      Confirmation - June 2010
      Final Payment - June 2014 - 7/2/14 DISCHARGED

Comment

We were approved to pay my student loan outside of the plan as we were current on it. Many people don't get it approved to pay outside so they are in a deferred status with the loan company until the ch13 is discharged and don't make the payments. However, if you can get it approved to pay outside it is better in the long run as it isn't accruing finance charges the entire length of the ch13.
        CH13 filed 5/21/09; 341 6/17/09; confirmed 7/14/09]
        Discharged: 7/25/12

Comment

When you say that it is paid outside the plan, does that mean that you're taking money for another budgeted category and using that to pay the student loan, or that you got a budget line item to continue to pay the student loans so you're not taking from another category?

Comment

The student loan payment was approved as a monthly expense for us so we're not taking from some other living expense to pay for it...thank goodness! But...if we are delinquent on paying the student loan it is cause for ch13 dismissal so it is a must payment for us (p.s. the trustee has already checked to see if we're paying it after we got confirmed too). However, in the end, it will save us quite a bit of money. So far so good...

Best of luck to you!
            CH13 filed 5/21/09; 341 6/17/09; confirmed 7/14/09]
            Discharged: 7/25/12

Comment

I'm submitting my $235/month payment as an expense on my schedule too. It comes right out of my DDA each month. Others in my district have had good luck getting it through so I'm hopeful.
              19% dividend

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X