when to tell CC companies about bk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when to tell CC companies about bk

We have not filed yet, but reading several posts on here I am trying to find out how long you wait to tell the credit card companies that you are filing bk and why you wait at all? Any info will help.
    We start interviewing attorneys this week - any recommendations for a good attorney in Cincinnati?
    I cant stand the calls from the calls form the cc companies and just want the torment to stop sooner than later.

I would tell them only when your bankruptcy case is filed and you have a case #.
    Filing: 4/10/2009, 341: 5/18/2009
    Last day for objections: 7/17/2009
    Discharge: 7/29/2009

Comment

Originally posted by kvangild View Post
      I would tell them only when your bankruptcy case is filed and you have a case #.
      +1
      Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
      Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

As soon as I retained my attorney I told my CC's that I would be filing BK. I was fairly comfortable that they wouldn't be able to do anything in the 3 months before I filed.

When do you plan on filing?

Almost all of the calls stopped when we started giving our attorney information to the CC's.
        Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
        "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

They tend to leave you alone if you tell them your intent to file, at least in my case.

Comment

I would try to file first then tell them. Or at least right before you file ( month). The issue is if you stop paying them and then don't let them know you are filing and you avoid them they are going to sell your account to a JDC ( junk debt collector). In which case they will be more ruthless about trying to collect and harassing you. So, if you retain an attorney you can answer the phone and give them your attorneys information. I had written a script about answering the phone.

I was in the process of filing when and didn't have a case number. When they asked for my case number I would tell them my attorney can provide that information, would like his name and contact number.

Comment

Same here Deepinit..

We stopped paying in August and filed on Nov. 6th.

We were dreading the calls more than anything and after about two weeks of non-payment to the credit cards the phone was ringing off the hook. This caused us more stress than we'd imagined.

We immediately hired an attorney and paid the retainer the same day which allowed us to direct all of the calls to him.

We had eleven different creditors and told every one of them we were filing for chapter 7 and passed on the attorneys number. The calls stopped immediately and we had peace and quiet from them on.

If you plan to file within 2-4 months I think this strategy works well and definitely reduces the stress level.

Good luck and hang in there - things will get better!

Comment

Originally posted by kvangild View Post
                Good answer!
                All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

I anticipated the calls and never picked up. About a week after I filed the calls stopped without me ever picking up the phone once. Its a tactic. I was always concerned that they may rush to file a lawsuit before I file if I notified them first. Once the automatic stay is in place the game is over

Comment

Originally posted by Mi Bankruptcy View Post
                    I would try to file first then tell them. Or at least right before you file ( month). The issue is if you stop paying them and then don't let them know you are filing and you avoid them they are going to sell your account to a JDC ( junk debt collector). In which case they will be more ruthless about trying to collect and harassing you. So, if you retain an attorney you can answer the phone and give them your attorneys information. I had written a script about answering the phone.

I was in the process of filing when and didn't have a case number. When they asked for my case number I would tell them my attorney can provide that information, would like his name and contact number.
                    Yeah - I made the mistake of telling them too soon and they were sent to collections agencies in 30 days. They are WAY WORSE than the collection dept's at the banks themselves with calling neighbors, relatives, etc. I told a couple I was filing and they said "I don't care, I'm not going to call your lawyer, I'm going to deal with you" I ended up telling them off pretty good and never heard back from them.

Most of the banks own departments were pleasant and wished me luck. Only DISCOVER sucked - - they questioned items on my statements and said "you'll never get away without paying this in bankruptcy" I said "thank you" and hung up. It was charges for groceries from Giant Eagle, lol.
                    19% dividend

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X