Rent increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent increase

My lease is up next month. I just found out tody my rent is increasing $100 a month!! Hard to believe since there are lots of vacancies here.....should I just sit tight and try to handle the increase, should I talk to my attorney and try to get my plan modified (I am at the IRS allowable right now, or try to find another place but I know that will be difficult given if they pull a credit report......
    Filed 9/14/09
    Confirmed 12/11/09

You wont know until you try, some places will still rent to you.

Your attorney will charge you a fee to do the modification, so keep that cost in mind.

Try negotiating with your leasing company, they can possibly work with you on the price.

Comment

As Optimistic1 said, you will not know until you try. I know several people who have been able to rent while in BK with no problems. Also, is the $100 increase for month to month or for a new lease? If it is month to month, maybe your landlord with reduce your rent if you sign a new lease.

As a former landlord, I know for a fact that is better to keep a tenant at the current rent level that it is to find a new one.
      Chapter 13 Filed (Pro Se) - 9/30/09
      Confirmation Date - 12/1/09
      Stats - $1752/month, 29/36 completed, 4% to Unsecured, Lien Stripped 2nd Mortgage

Comment

I also had an increase at $100 a month a year or so ago. I asked the lawyer and like it has been stated he will charge you. I was able to have it put in writing from him, very suprisingly considering it took him "chargeable hours" (I have a great lawyer, online one as well), that I would only want to submit it to the court for adjustment of my payment to be lower if the the lawyers hours would be put into the plan as well so I would not be charged out of pocket. They submitted and it was approved with no objections. One month later my rent went up and my trustee payment went down. You never know til you try. Hope you have an understanding lawyer and trustee.
        Filed - 3.12.07
        Confirmed - 5.25.07
        Payments So Far - 45/60

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X