top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you ever have an attorney try to discourage you from filing Chapter13?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you ever have an attorney try to discourage you from filing Chapter13?

I to talked to various attorneys beforeing finding one that was willing to take my case and help me out.

Attorney1- You will have to pay everything on a Chapter13 and I don't do Chapter 13's. He recommend me to another attorney. {Good Fella )

Attorney2- Why don't you try debt consolidation. Your debt is not much. She never returned more emails, nor phone calls.

Attorney3- You will have to pay everything back and my fees are 2500 up front. (Some what of a Jerk)

Attorney4- Never responded to emails.

Attorney5- Finally, somebody willing to take a Chapter 13 and has been very helpful. He seems very knowledgeable of Bankruptcy law.

Anybody else have trouble finding a good attorney?

Originally posted by GG1981 View Post
    I to talked to various attorneys beforeing finding one that was willing to take my case and help me out.

Attorney1- You will have to pay everything on a Chapter13 and I don't do Chapter 13's. He recommend me to another attorney. {Good Fella )

Attorney2- Why don't you try debt consolidation. Your debt is not much. She never returned more emails, nor phone calls.

Attorney3- You will have to pay everything back and my fees are 2500 up front. (Some what of a Jerk)

Attorney4- Never responded to emails.

Attorney5- Finally, somebody willing to take a Chapter 13 and has been very helpful. He seems very knowledgeable of Bankruptcy law.

Anybody else have trouble finding a good attorney?

if you are not being sued at this time you have time to educate your self and decide what is best for you, no need to rush into a 5 year 100% pay back.

Comment

Finding a good attorney is "almost" an oxymoron. I would advise what "systemsit" stated, hang in there, get organized, purchase both the C7 and C13 books from Nolo Press in pdf download. Very good books. Pace yourself and since you are on a brink of decision, but can wait a bit, give it a bit of time and educate yourself. You seem better off than most here. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Yeah I interviewed 10, they were all horrible, most rely on their paralegal to do everything for them, while they sit back and dont even study the law.

Comment

I only had to see 3.

The first one told me social security overpayment was non-dischargeable (not true).
          The second one was just full of wrong information.
          The third one I spoke with for 40 min. on the phone, 2 hours in the office developing a plan of action, then 6 months later we had another 2 hour consultation... all before I paid or signed anything. Had an answer for everything, and knew what she was talking about. (yes, obviously I had some complicated matters to deal with in mine).
          Filed CH13 - 06/2009
          Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

Forgotten, I wonder if we talked to the same attorneys, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by SunshineGal View Post
              Forgotten, I wonder if we talked to the same attorneys, lol.
              yes we did talk to the same "type " lawyer

they know they will get paid the same whether they do a good job or not. they have customers lining up around the block. they think you know nothing about what is going on. "this may be true for those who did not find this site," if they screw up what are you gong to do about it. sue them? you dont have any money to hire a lawyer because first lawyer screwed your BK. i wish i would have studied law "the power the power"

my sister is a lawyer. she nice. jest don't piss her off.

Comment

It would seem altogether best to consult an attorney who specializes in bankruptcy, or even better - one whose practice is limited to bankruptcies exclusively. Their businesses are obviously booming, and in order to ensure their reliability, they keep on top of things.

They will also advise potential clients as to whether bankruptcy would be appropriate in their case and never try to influence the decision to file.

Comment

What State do you live in?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X