top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Credit Reporting Agency = Asked for Bank Acct.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Reporting Agency = Asked for Bank Acct.

I called in to lift the freeze on my credit report so the attorneys can review them when the time comes. Also, I was put through to the fraud department (to place a security alert on there since the freeze was going to be lifted). This keeps anyone from taking credit out in my name (good luck with that!) while the freeze is lifted temporarily. During the conversation about the security alert, I mentioned that someone had used my debit card fraudulently a few months ago, at which point the person asked me where I banked (where the fraud occurred). Like an idiot, I told him. There was something in his tone that was off -- he asked me to repeat the name of the bank and to spell it. After I hung up, I realized, no other credit reporting agency had ever asked me where I banked when I asked for a security alert. I called back the same credit reporting agency a few days later, and asked the next person whether that was standard practice -- to ask where I bank. I was told it was not. She explained it away by saying, 'oh, he's a supervisor and probably doesn't handle these kinds of inquiries (fraud inquiries) often'. She checked the alert and my credit report and said there was no mention of my bank anywhere.

Two things about this make no sense: 1) Why was I transferred to a 'supervisor' in the security alert department in the first place (during the first call); and 2) why is it a supervisor who works in that department doesn't know the procedures?

Here's what I think. I think I was transferred to a supervisor because when they pulled up my report they saw I wasn't paying creditors. And I think that supervisor may have 'shared' my banking information with a few of his buddies. What do you think? The person I spoke to yesterday seemed taken aback when I said that other person had asked where I bank.

Other weirdness. The calls have stopped. I have been getting calls every single day, several times per day for months, but nothing yesterday and today. I did NOT tell the other creditors that I have hired anyone or to not call. I only wrote to the debt collecting law firm used by American Express, and told them not to call. So there is only one explanation, which is that they are sharing info with the other creditors. They probably have some database.

The credit reporting agencies all seem to be sharing as well. I notified one that I wanted a security alert, and they automatically notified the other two.
    Last edited by ApresMoi; 02-17-2010, 10:47 AM. Reason: clarification

Quote: And I think that supervisor may have 'shared' my banking information with a few of his buddies

Highly unlikely.

You told someone there that your bank debit card had been used fraudulently. They asked for the name of the bank. That is not unusual at all.

The calls probably stopped because now the issuing CC's are sending them off to a different department or another collection agency. Also not unusual.

Apres, I hope you are filing soon. The stress is getting to you. (My 2 cents only, adjusted for inflation :-)
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

Ah, that makes sense as to why the calls might have stopped. It will probably take the next team of bottom feeders awhile to gear up for the onslaught.

Stress. Agreed. Hope to file in 10+ days.

Still not convinced about why he asked where I bank. It was his tone, as much as anything else. And the fact that no one else had ever asked for that in similar circumstances. I used up the funds in that account today anyway. There's nothing for them to get.

Comment

Maybe he just asked for that information as a means of verifying your identity. I know they ask all kinds of weird questions to verify who you are. Who you had a mortgage with 20 years ago. The amount of your former car payment. That kind of stuff. Try not to worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by tigergem View Post
          Maybe he just asked for that information as a means of verifying your identity. I know they ask all kinds of weird questions to verify who you are. Who you had a mortgage with 20 years ago. The amount of your former car payment. That kind of stuff. Try not to worry about it.
          Ok, thanks. What I need to do is to repeat the following before starting up a conversation with anyone who collects my credit info ("these people are NOT my friends"). Creditors are their bread and butter, not me. I should have asked whether that info was necessary to have a security alert put on? The answer would have been "no". He probably would have backed off.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X