Bounced my Trustee Payment...ugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bounced my Trustee Payment...ugh

So much for paying via my bank's BillPay. I've lost that option now. It was my fault as I didn't get funds transfered into the account in time. I was 1 day late due to a hold on a deposit on the other account.

The Trustee does not automatically redeposit the check like many other banks. I don't bounce many checks - one every couple of years, but I know how they system works :-)

So now I have to send cashier's check or money order. Fortunately, my bank offers that online for a $5 fee. Instead of sending 2 payments a month, I'll just lump it all into 1.
    March 2009 - Filed Ch 13 April 2009 - 341 Meeting
    Sept 2009 - Confirmed April 2014 Plan completed May 2014 - Discharged!!

That sucks... my trustee doesn't require money order/cashiers check until the second bounced check. Hopefully I never have to use the "freebie"!
    Filed CH13 - 06/2009
    Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

Our trustee requires money orders or cashiers checks from the start. Which really stinks because our bank charges $8 each time.
      Ch 13 filed 06/22/09. Dismissed,thankfully, 03/31/10. Ch 7 filed 06/28/10. 341 07/29/10. UST POA 08/06/10. UST mot to dismiss hearing extended to Dec...Feb...March...May...Aug. UST withdrawal of dismissal filed 05/31! DISCHARGED 07/12/2011!

Comment

I get mine from the post office for $1.25 each

Comment

Oh that reminds me. I want to ask next week at my confirmation hearing if I am allowed to use my online bill pay to pay the trustee. That would be so much more convenient! It would also be nice if they would sign up for pay.gov.

Comment

Originally posted by tigergem View Post
            Oh that reminds me. I want to ask next week at my confirmation hearing if I am allowed to use my online bill pay to pay the trustee. That would be so much more convenient! It would also be nice if they would sign up for pay.gov.
            Online bill pay is considered a personal check. So if they take personal checks you can do it, otherwise you are out of luck.
            Filed CH13 - 06/2009
            Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

Originally posted by forgotten View Post
              Online bill pay is considered a personal check. So if they take personal checks you can do it, otherwise you are out of luck.
              We have two trustees. One trustee does allow bill pay and debit card (as well as cashier's and MOs) but not personal checks. The other has a mandatory wage deduction. I refuse to do that. So here's hoping for the trustee that takes all other payments....
              First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

Money orders at Walmart are less than $1... I wish our trustee would accept personal checks, but I'm grateful that he didn't require a wage garnishment! Although a wage garnishment would have been easy, no worrying about getting it in the mail in time and I'm guessing that with a wage garnishment they would garnish per paycheck which would mean the payment would be split up through the month? That wouldn't be bad....

Comment

Originally posted by becky20 View Post
                  I'm guessing that with a wage garnishment they would garnish per paycheck which would mean the payment would be split up through the month? That wouldn't be bad....
                  Yup. If you are paid bi-weekly it makes it seem cheaper too!
                  A $800/mo payment is only $369.23 per check. So... since you are paid twice a month that is $738.46/mo, a savings of $61.54 a month!

Yes... I realize that math is dumb and there really is no savings, but it really does make it look cheaper IMO. ha.
                  Filed CH13 - 06/2009
                  Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

Originally posted by olivies View Post
                    Our trustee requires money orders or cashiers checks from the start. Which really stinks because our bank charges $8 each time.

Get your money order at the post office and pay for it with your debit card - a lot cheaper.
                    Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

Wal Mart money orders are only 60 cents.

Comment

Disadvantage is that I would only bring home around 300 or so a payday in plan #1 (have an appt with lawyer #2 Monday, with the new tax bracket figured in.)
                        First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

My attorney said our trustee requires wage deduction - so we set it up thru Hubby's. I work for a small company, would rather keep our personal business personal. I did ask though, about what happens if jobs change. (I understand income changes can impact the plan - but I meant in terms of the wage deduction.)

Atty said we could then just send in payments.
                          Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
                          (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

I have wage deductions and love it... At first I was so upset , but change is good sometimes ... They also demanded to pay all my secured so I dont even have to think about that every month either ... I was always juggling what to pay with this paycheck & what to pay w/that paycheck & keeping track of all the due dates.... Wa La, it has been an easy transition so far...
                            Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones
                            Chapter 13 filed 10-21-09
                            Discharged 4-13-15

Comment

I originally thought the plan would just include the arrears on mortgage & vehicle & atty fee, with whatever was left after trustee % going to unsecured. But was told we have to pay off the full vehicle in the plan. Was annoyed - I see it as a way the trustee can make more money since he/she gets 5.5% of that.

Ultimately though it is for the best, as it kind of unofficially refi'd the vehicle payment. Had about 3 1/2 years left on it at 10.75%. Now its being paid @ 5.5%, and our plan payment is only about $150 over what the vehicle payment was. (Though for a longer time.)
                              Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
                              (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X