top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Ch 13 a terrible option for an entrepreneur?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Ch 13 a terrible option for an entrepreneur?

Based on what I have learned and what other entrepreneurs have told me, it sounds like Ch 13 is a TERRIBLE option for an an entrepreneur. I had to close a business (software) last year and am trying to start a new one (services) this year. I have hired a BK attorney and am in the process of finding out if we qualify for Ch 7 based on the means test. I got some severance last year, which was paid late, so I can't qualify based on median income test.

We owe $870K on our first and $120K on our second and $120K in CC debt. Our home is probably valued around $780K.

I'm not sure how Ch 13 works other than you workout a monthly payment arrangement based on your total debt. So I am assuming (and maybe here is where I am wrong) that we would owe $240K (HELOC + CC) over the life of the 5 year plan or $4K per month. If the 2nd gets stripped, we would owe $120K and have to pay up to $2K per month. Our monthly minimum CC payments are currently $2800 and will likely go up considerably as we stop paying the accounts. A debt management plan would run about $2800 per month and we would pay off the debt in 5 years, which at my age (52) feels like a lifetime.

The idea of trying to start a new company and having any income that's over some arbitrary limit (I can't predict what my income will be - the previous company was investor-funded and I had a salary and the company had no revenue) automatically go to the TTs is frankly depressing. What's the incentive for me to try to build a successful business if any "profit" up to $120K or $240K over the next 5 years goes to the TT? I'm better off getting a job at McDonald's

I thought BK was about giving you the opportunity to have a fresh start? I thought that it was put into law to help entrepreneurs if they fail to try again so they can put money into the economy and create new jobs?

I read somewhere that if you're self-employed you have to turn in monthly P&L's to the TT. The idea of having to do this for next 5 years is absolutely unthinkable to me. My attorney has told me that the local TT does not look at annual tax returns because their office is overwhelmed with filings/cases. What if this dude keels over? Then what? Also, if we get our monthly plan set at some arbitrary low number, does this mean we have to live on Kraft's Mac and Cheese for the next 5 years? That we can't take a vacation? That we have to give our relatives Popsicle stick sculptures that we make ourselves because that's all we can afford under the plan? Ch 13 sounds like debtors prison to me.

If it sounds like I am bitter, it's because I am. The f***ing credit card companies won't work with you. I had been making my WFB Visa payments on time for at least two years since we got the card, missed a payment because the company had been previously making the payment and it was transferred to me because I had personally guaranteed it and the statement got lost in the shuffle. WFB doubled my interest rate. I called and explained that the bill literally got lost in the mail and that I am unemployed and asked if they could lower it back down to the previous level. They told me they would only lower it if I made my payment on time for the next 12 months and suggested that I transfer the debt to another bank with a lower rate. Chase won't negotiate a loan mod because I have been making my payments. And I'm supposed to get in f***ing line and pay these people? What they are doing is immoral and used to be illegal. And for this their executives get billions of dollars in bonuses?

I went a year and half without any income when I first started the company and put about $100K of my own money in. We incurred unexpected personal expenses because my son got diagnosed with cancer, so life stopped until he was able to complete chemo. The last 5 years have been hard enough. Another 5 years of being "under the gun" is unfathomable.

So someone please tell me what is so great about a Ch 13? Maybe I am missing something and I plead ignorant to the details of Ch 13, so hopefully I am way off base but at this point I will do anything to avoid this sorry state.

You are asking the wrong question. (not a problem, most people lose perspective when facing BK). Right now, you are feeling anxiety because you don't know if you will qualify, or to qualify, you may need to make some serious life style changes (i.e. dump the house).

First, what is a "real" alternative. Second, if you don't do anything about the debt, you wont be able to start a business anyway. And even if you can, the debt load will kill any cash flow and the business will die.

Right now, you are in the Denial phase of financial distress, you are blaming everyone but yourself for the problems. That is not to say the banks don't bare some responsibility, but you whiped out the cards and made the charges. Life happens, I get that. But you need to focus on one thing at a time, if you don't resolve your debt issues and stabilize your personal finances, any so called "entrepreneur" activity WILL fail. (entrepreneur is such an arrogant word anymore, unless you have actually created something new, it is euphemism for the unemployed that don't think they are unemployed )

What exactly happened with your last business, why did you have to close it. Did you learn anything from that experience. Why do you even want to be in business for your self? Read the E-Myth Revisited before you go down this road. 80% of all small business fail in the first 5 years, and 80% of those that make past the first 5 years fail in the next 5 years.
    Last edited by HHM; 02-28-2010, 10:04 AM.

Comment

There is some confusion in terms in your post, I think.

The phrase "fresh start" does not necessarily mean a "fresh start" by YOUR definition. Sorry, but that is the way it is.

I, too, am a "creator of things", if you will, to avoid the E word. I managed to keep my business open and running through BK, which is a different set of problems from what you are dealing with.

From my perspective, I think you may want to take a new look at your circumstances, from everything including your business ventures in the past, your hoped-for ventures in the future, and your current assets and debts. I would suggest trying to look at them from the eye of a brand new 22 year old getting ready to start his or her first business.

The reason I suggest this is: A "fresh start" in BK can put you essentially on that same footing, require you to give up nearly everything, just to have a clean slate to begin again. If this is not an option in your mind, then BK may be a very poor choice whether is is CH 13 or CH 7.

Debt management plans are rarely successful for anyone except the owners of the debt management plan.

It looks to me like your housing expenses are excessive, based on your hopes for future start-ups. You are, even before business is open, set up to fail unless you, personally, generate at least whatever your cost of living currently is.

I would personally get rid of the housing expenses any way possible, so you have some flexibility with regards to your own compensation, especially in the early days of a new business.

There is a lot to digest in your post, and I surely don't know your exact details, but if you really have the fire to keep moving with new ventures, I think you also have to have the objectivity to spot things that will cripple you and your business before you even get started.

None of this is meant to be harsh, only constructive, and I do wish you the best. It is very difficult for business owners to navigate BK waters successfully.
      11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
      12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
      3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

I understand that I wrote the post in a moment of anger and frustration. I accept full responsibility for the financial situation we are in. I ended up taking out a HELOC to finance living expenses and put money into the company. Had no income and was too "proud" to apply for unemployment.

The last business failed because the software product we built didn't function, we ran out of money and we couldn't get additional funding, given the state of the company, product and economic climate. There was a market for our product, we were just not able to build a functional product. Learned some critical lessons, which I am applying to the new venture, namely, don't go at it alone (bringing in a partner who is very well-connected and experienced), don't use junior developers (will be using senior developers who have agreed to work on a revenue-sharing basis), generate income through consulting (working toward securing projects from large companies), avoid venture-funding (new company will be customer-funded), don't try to build the next Google (new business goal is to build a business that will realize enough personal income to allow us to pay our bills, save for retirement and enjoy a bit of recreation).

The living expenses have to come down. We can't afford the home we are in under current terms. I will look into loan modification. If we can get a principle reduction and substantially lower mortgage payment, then we can possibly stay. If we can't, then we foreclose and downsize.

HHM, I could see how you might interpret that I am only pointing fingers. The principle blame lies with me - mea culpa. That is where the anger begins. And you're right that the first order of business is to get our personal finances in order. Don't, however, appreciate the put down for my using the term "entrepreneur" particularly in the context of being unemployed - that stung a bit. I "was" an entrepreneur albeit a failed one - we tried building "something" but failed. I learned some bitter and very expensive lessons for which I am paying a price and will need to continue to pay, perhaps to include having to give up our home but I am sufficiently self-aware and introspective to acknowledge and get input from others as to where I made mistakes when I first started the previous company, so I don't make them again in starting the new one.

In terms of alternatives, I have read/heard that one option is to settle directly with the credit card companies. Another is a loan mod. Another is a deed in lieu of foreclosure. I want to simplify my life and, as a business person, know that this needs to start with significantly reducing our living expenses, so I don't have to build the next Google just to make my next mortgage payment.

Thank you both for your input. I appreciate your taking the time and sharing your expertise and experiences.
        Last edited by onthebrink; 02-28-2010, 10:18 AM.

Comment

If we can get a principle reduction and substantially lower mortgage payment, then we can possibly stay.
          Let me stop you right there...I hate to be a kill joy, but if that is what it will take to keep you in your home, you might as well stop paying your mortgage now. Principle reductions are simply not part of the equation. Do the math, you have an $870,000 1st mortgage, there is only so much leeway in what can be done. Start reading in our foreclosure forum to get a sense of what is really happening with loan mods. Even if they reamortized your loan to 30 years from today and give you a 2% interest rate, that payment would be $3,216 per month. (note, they DO NOT reamortize the loan for a new term, I merely did that since I don't know where you are in you how much longer you have on your loan).

Settlement: you need cash, from what I have gathered, that cash resources are not there (about 40-45%) of your total unsecured debt at time of settlement.
          Deed in Lieu: if there is a 2nd mortgage, you can forget it. Also, that is up to the bank to accept them.

I agree with DeadManCrawling, you need to look at this from the "starting over" perspective.

I do have to chuckle at the "consultant" thing, again, euphemism for the unemployed. (it's a joke, consulting has its place, but too many people go down that road with no idea how to really do it).
          Last edited by HHM; 02-28-2010, 10:20 AM.

Comment

I have stopped, starting this month, paying the mortgage and CC's. Working with BK attorney to see if we qualify for Ch7. Have an opportunity via my business partner (and as a sub-contractor to a REAL major consultancy) for a "consulting" engagement that pays well and, hopefully, will serve as basis for building the business. The deliverables we would provide are also needed in other companies. Have some assets. Considering trying to build some cash reserves over the next 6 months and using this to do lump sum debt settlement. As much as I hate to admit it, keeping the home is not a likely outcome but I at least want to investigate what it might cost to keep it. I do, however, like the idea of "starting over" with no debt. That would be great. Hopefully, I'll get some legal counsel on how to make that happen.

Comment

As for cash, you need to weigh the optimal use of that cash (if you come up with it). Is that cash better used to settle the debts, or down the road to help your business and stabilize your financial situation.

Comment

That's the crux of the issue. I'm concerned that if I file Ch7 that I lose the assets over the exempt amount and if I file for Ch13 that I have to commit to monthly payments I may not be able to complete because if they calculate average income based on what this project might pay it might appear that I can make a sizable annual income. Read somewhere that only 35% of Ch13 debt plans are completed successfully - that's a scary thought. Really feeling between a rock and a hard place and, definitely, out of my depth. The fact I had a venture-funded c-corp adds complexity to my case. Hoping that now that I have supplied my attorney with detailed personal financial info that she can provide sound advice to identify and reach the optimal solution.

Comment

onthebrink...seems we are in the same boat with respect to not knowing what we are going to do as far as BK. I am not an entrepreneur but I am self-employed. Have in the past made a substancial income in a different sales career and that is how we ended up with a somewhat expensive house. I can identify with you as far as I am thinking that I do not want to put 60 or 70 hours a week into my work so I can turn any excess over to the trustee but even more than that, I am having a tough time with the idea of being under scrutiny for the next 5 years. If I could do Ch7 and get it behind me in 6 or 7 months it would make the decision so much easier. I am exploring working with the creditors on my own to settle with them but I need to figure out if I will be able to pay for that. Also have to figure out if I would have to pay taxes on the forgiven amount if I am able to settle all of it out.

I am also concerned because my husband uses a company credit card and I read somewhere on this site that if you file a BK that will be a problem. He did have to fill out a credit app when he got it but the company pays the bill. Where he works they will not take kindly to finding out he is filing BK.

I have successfully completed a loan mod after a year of working on it. Those who have been successful are few and far between! They would not take me seriously until I missed payments even though they say you do not have to miss payments to get a modification. It is a frustrating time-intensive experience and constantly resending documentation of your income, bank statements, etc. gets old fast. I do not believe that anyone is getting a principal reduction. Since your home is over the $729,000 threshold you are going to be at your lender's mercy for an in-house modification. Mine was in-house as well because mine was not fanny or freddie backed, no second and not sold to an outside investor. I paid so much down that I did not have mortgage insurance which made mine less appetizing for them to foreclose on as they could not recover the MI.

If you are really interested in doing a modification, you can check out www.loansafe.com. Someone on that site actually pointed me in the direction of this site. I do not know a lot about stripping seconds because I did not have to worry about that but I seem to remember homeowners doing that without BK or settling the 2nd for 10%.

Comment

Thanks, MarieT. Glad to find someone who can relate. Being in sales or being an entrepreneur are one and the same. I am really struggling with the idea of a Ch13 for all the reasons you state. I have hired a BK attorney and, hopefully, will find out this week to see if we qualify for Ch7. We have been dutifully paying the mortgage up until this month but have been told that the only way to get the bank's attention is to stop paying. I know that it is currently difficult to get a principal reduction but who knows 3 to 6 months from now? We have resigned ourselves to the reality that we may have to move out of our home. We live in a nice neighborhood in a major city and there are 35 homes in our zip code alone that are in foreclosure. Nobody is spared.

Thanks for the link to loan safe - I'll check it out.

All the best to you

Comment

You are very welcome...I wish you the best too!

There is also some interesting info on the Collection area, the thread tiltled "Settlement offer: 15% of 75,000 with B of A?" by Tyfoon

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X