authorized user on my moms cc account?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

authorized user on my moms cc account?

can i be an authorized user on my moms credit card account? she wants to get one for me for emergencies, but i didnt know in ohio in a 13 if i can do that or not. can anyone give me advice before i give her the go ahead?

also long time no post :P i almost forgot about this forum!
    filed ch 13 june 4th 2008
    total payback: 10 G over next 5 yrs.

Where in Ohio are you? I am in the southern district (Columbus) and have found my trustee to be real reasonable, hasn't been intrusive at all.
    Filed CH 13 September 17, 2007
    Plan Modified July 8, 2009 from $1100/month to $400/month due to change in income, finally discharged in July of 2013!

Comment

authorized user

I'm in Tennessee. I was an authorized user on my mom's credit card with BOA and when I pulled my credit report, her card was on my credit report. It did not show that I was just an authorized user. It looked like it was my card. My attorney said it was best to get removed ASAP since it shows on my credit report.
      Filed Ch.13 August 2008,
      Converted to Ch.7 03/31/10, 341 Meeting 05/05/2010, Discharged 07/16/2010

Comment

Originally posted by woeisme View Post
        Where in Ohio are you? I am in the southern district (Columbus) and have found my trustee to be real reasonable, hasn't been intrusive at all.
        It's just getting a plan confirmed by him that's the problem

To answer the OP's question, you could ask your attorney or call and ask your contact at the trustee's office. Any debt over $1000 I have to get permission from our trustee
        19% dividend

Comment

I totally understand the want/need for a card in case of emergencies, but please use extreme caution.

It is the ability to "buy now, pay later" that got many of us in this situation to begin with. Try to start a emergency fund, even just a few bucks each pay.
          It will add up quickly and learning to NOT rely on the cards is a important lesson to take out of this whole mess.

I wish you the best
          8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
          11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

Back to the OPs original question - ultimately you will need to check with your attorney.

However, without getting into the many various pitfalls of credit cards... as an authorized user, it technically is not taking on more debt. You have no financial obligation to repay any charges you make as an authorized user. There might be moral reasons, or "arrangements" you make with your mom regarding repayment (probably why some trustees would object). It also kind of just looks bad if you are including CCs in your BK yet you still have access to a credit card.

Personally, I had the same situation, but for a slightly different reason. My mom is elderly and in ill health and would frequently have me make larger purchases for her - so she made me an authorized user on one of her CCs. I had her cancel me as an authorized user, but will likely have her add it back after I am confirmed. I feel comfortable that if I had to explain this to a trustee I would be ok, but not comfortable enough that I would risk having it be a potential issue leading up to confirmation.

Probably splitting hairs a bit, but hey, it makes me sleep better at night! LOL

Comment

I was the 2nd party on my moms checking acct and had to have my name taken off.
              Its just not a good idea to hve your name attached to anyone elses idenity if your filing bankruptcy because it affects there credit too...
              Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones
              Chapter 13 filed 10-21-09
              Discharged 4-13-15

Comment

to be clear i dont plan on using the acct unless say my car breaks down and i need a tow or something like that. i also dont have an attorny anymore, he retired after my case was approved.

and im in stark county. so NE ohio.
                filed ch 13 june 4th 2008
                total payback: 10 G over next 5 yrs.

Comment

While it may not be the authorized users responsibility under the card agreement to repay the debt, it is still a debt. It is technically a debt owed by the OP to the primary card holder.

We all live without credit cards, it's how it is now. Build the emergency fund and don't look back.
                  19% dividend

Comment

Not necessarily. If there is some agreement that the OP will pay her mom back for any charges she makes - than yes, it absolutely is a debt.

If there is no agreement to pay the charges back and her mom is going to pay back any charges the OP makes than it is not a debt for the OP, it is a gift.

I agree with all of the sentiment posted about the ills and evils of credit cards. There are tons of posts on other parts of this forum that debate the need to ever have a cc again.

If we are answering "should" you get added to your mom's account, I bet most on this forum would say no.

If we are answering "can" you get added as an authorized user(with no impact or recourse on your bk), I don't think the answer is as clear cut.

Comment

Correct, I was assuming it was not free money. If there is zero expectation to be paid back if it's used, than I agree with NoTomatoCan.
                      19% dividend

Comment

I'm in a similar situation. I just found out my dad made me an authorized user on one of his cards (he's treating us to a family vacation in May and the card is for our meal purchases). Anyway, he pays off his balance each month and has excellent credit. I don't want him knowing that we're filing. Does this have to be listed if there is a zero balance? GAH! Just when I thought there was no way for him to find out! It's amazing that even at 35 years old, I still feel like a child when it comes to him finding out certain things

Comment

Originally posted by fortknox View Post
                          I'm in a similar situation. I just found out my dad made me an authorized user on one of his cards (he's treating us to a family vacation in May and the card is for our meal purchases). Anyway, he pays off his balance each month and has excellent credit. I don't want him knowing that we're filing. Does this have to be listed if there is a zero balance? GAH! Just when I thought there was no way for him to find out! It's amazing that even at 35 years old, I still feel like a child when it comes to him finding out certain things

Don't list that, it's not your debt.
                          19% dividend

Comment

While having someone add you to their account while in an active Chapter 13 may require the trustee's permission (not sure on that), it doesn't create problems for the other person. I actually noticed this situation on my petition when I reviewed it. There was a BoA account on my list of creditors that was not mine. When I questioned my atty about it, he said everything on the list came from my credit reports. I investigated further and realized it was my mom's account that she added me to as an authorized user back when I was in college. I no longer have the card, I gave it back to her years ago! I didn't even know I was still on it. My atty said that when BoA files their claims, they can't/won't include that one if it's not in my name.
                            Filed Ch 13 - 2/2010
                            341 meeting - 4/2010
                            Confirmed! - 6/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X