Converted Chap 7 to 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converted Chap 7 to 13

So I was riding the line between a 7 and 13 and the attorney, BK judge, etc put me into a 13. Looks like the 13 was granted today, but there is some weird stuff on the docket.

#1 Gone from No asset to Asset (I assume that is ok, but...)
    #2 NOTICE that, pursuant to Standing Order of this Court, the Debtor, within four (4) days after receipt of this notice shall contact the Trustee's
    Office, at...for an interview appointment. Pursuant to 11 U.S.C. Section 1326 the Debtor shall commence making the payments
    proposed by the plan within 30 days after the plan is filed; and take further...

(Not sure what the above means)

Then the letter goes on to tell me about the 341 meeting.

My lawyer will probably ease my nerves, but he is usually hard to get in touch with so I figured I would ask the friendly people here!

Oh and I have to change my signature now...
    -------
    Converted to Chap 13 from Chap 7 Feb 28
    341 April 16...

Normally in a 13 - you make your first payment to the trustee within 30 days of filing. Sounds like this is what part of your notice is about. Your attorney should go over your plan with you - regarding what is to be paid into the 13.
    Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
    (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Hopefully they don't want it in 4 days My 341 was scheduled for 4-16 so hopefully we can get this moving pretty quick. Originally I filed the Chap 7 back in October so I'm looking forward to starting payments!
      -------
      341 April 16...

Comment

I filed Chapter 7 and I have my 341 in about 2 weeks. I'm pretty confident that we will survive the 341 and remain in a 7, but anything is possible. If you don't mind me asking, why were you forced into a 13....is it because of too many assets? Over your state medium? or too much disposable income? My main concern is the trustee questioning my expenses and forcing me into a CH.13 claiming I have too much disposable income....
        Filed BK7 on 1/16/10:
        341 on 3/16/10 (No Asset)
        Discharged 5/17/10 (Fresh Start)

Comment

My Schedule J (future expenses) due to my 401K contributions, etc... We had no assets to speak of, but they thought that we made too much money and our 401K contributions should be going towards creditors... We had a long history of contributions, but unfortunately they didn't care. The funny thing is that 401K is perfectly allowable in a Chap 13, so it's almost like we're getting an extended Chap 7. Only thing we are paying back is the car and the attorney fees for the next 5 years Luckily it is a new vehicle!
          -------
          341 April 16...

Comment

I see. well thanks for answering my question, and it all works out for you.
            Filed BK7 on 1/16/10:
            341 on 3/16/10 (No Asset)
            Discharged 5/17/10 (Fresh Start)

Comment

Originally posted by gwar11d2 View Post
              401K contributions should be going towards creditors... We had a long history of contributions, but unfortunately they didn't care. The funny thing is that 401K is perfectly allowable in a Chap 13, so it's almost like we're getting an extended Chap 7.
              You need to insist your attorney hold ground on the 401k thing and take it to the judge if needed. You are allowed a 401k contribution.
              Filed CH13 - 06/2009
              Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

I think I understand what you're saying Potsie... Your plan payment will consist of paying your car, balance on what you owe to attorney (since the 13 fee is higher than what you paid the atty to file 7), and of course the trustee gets a little %. The apr your car loan gets in the 13 may be less than what your contract was at, that happened for us... And your 401k deductions continue. So you won't be paying much more by paying the 13 (than paying the car on your own) ?

If they were able to get you into a 13 this way I guess it benefits the trustee as he/she not gets a % of your payment. And if your income goes up then your plan payment might get readjusted for you to ultimately pay more.

From the wording in your first post - it sounds like the first plan payment is due within 30 days of filing your plan. You should be able to stop making car payments directly to the lender now - and use that money to make plan payments.
                Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo

Comment

Originally posted by SMinGA View Post
                  I think I understand what you're saying Potsie... Your plan payment will consist of paying your car, balance on what you owe to attorney (since the 13 fee is higher than what you paid the atty to file 7), and of course the trustee gets a little %. The apr your car loan gets in the 13 may be less than what your contract was at, that happened for us... And your 401k deductions continue. So you won't be paying much more by paying the 13 (than paying the car on your own) ?

If they were able to get you into a 13 this way I guess it benefits the trustee as he/she not gets a % of your payment. And if your income goes up then your plan payment might get readjusted for you to ultimately pay more.

From the wording in your first post - it sounds like the first plan payment is due within 30 days of filing your plan. You should be able to stop making car payments directly to the lender now - and use that money to make plan payments.
                  Yes, My attorney advised me to stop making car payments because they will be included in the plan. The interesting thing is my plan payment is actually going to be lower than my car payment because I had made about 10 months worth of payments already.

My attorney was willing to fight it, but this BK judge I was informed just threw out a Chap 7 case similar to mine. The particular Judge supposedly heavily favors creditors....unfortunate but true.
                  -------
                  341 April 16...

Comment

The trustee perhaps figures you have no reason to fight it - on the basis you're not 'really' paying more this way. But if your income goes up, your plan payment may go up. And in the meantime the trustee gets a % of your payment...

Comment

That is my thought...and with the economy, I'm lucky if I get any raise at all...
                      So maybe in some odd way the trustee is making things easier by having my car payment 'cheaper'.

Originally posted by SMinGA View Post
                      The trustee perhaps figures you have no reason to fight it - on the basis you're not 'really' paying more this way. But if your income goes up, your plan payment may go up. And in the meantime the trustee gets a % of your payment...
                      -------
                      341 April 16...

Comment

How much are you putting into your 401K if I may ask.
                        Attorney Retained/Paid: 1-4-10
                        Online CCC-Completed & Cert Received: 1-8-10
                        Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.
                        341 3-10-10 ~~~ Last Day to Object: 5-10-10

Comment

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          How much are you putting into your 401K if I may ask.
                          Approx 15% of my salary which is under the Federal max contribution (I think now that is $16,000/yr?)
                          -------
                          341 April 16...

Comment

Originally posted by gwar11d2 View Post
                            Approx 15% of my salary which is under the Federal max contribution (I think now that is $16,000/yr?)
                            Thank you!
                            Attorney Retained/Paid: 1-4-10
                            Online CCC-Completed & Cert Received: 1-8-10
                            Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.
                            341 3-10-10 ~~~ Last Day to Object: 5-10-10

Comment

I noticed a lot of people stating that their monthly payment in a chap13 may go up if they receive pay increases from their employers. When I asked my attorney that question, he stated that once the plan is confirmed, your payment will stay the same amount for the entire 60mnths. Maybe it's different from district to district, Im in western PA.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X