Meeting with attorney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meeting with attorney

We have our first meeting with an attorney on Monday for a possible 13. Not sure what to expect. We were told not to bring any paper work with us. What is discussed at the first meeting and what happens afterwards? just curious.

Originally posted by Keithh1632 View Post
    We have our first meeting with an attorney on Monday for a possible 13. Not sure what to expect. We were told not to bring any paper work with us. What is discussed at the first meeting and what happens afterwards? just curious.
    With no paperwork at all? Probably not much. I had a binder full of stuff to get ready before the initial meeting so we could look over numbers and decide what to do.
    Filed CH13 - 06/2009
    Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

Perhaps he/she will give you an overview of what the bankruptcy process involves? Does seem odd to not take any information with you - or have you already emailed/faxed over info on income, debts, etc.?
      Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
      (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Yeah, no paperwork does seem a bit odd. My atty wanted at least one pay stub so he could figure out if I qualified for Chap 7 or if I needed to do Chap 13 (I already knew I wouldn't qualify for Chap 7). I also put together a spreadsheet with my monthly expenses and all of my debt. He didn't ask me for it, but he did keep it after our initial meeting. I would say to get the most out of the meeting, bring your pay stubs, total debt amount and expense info.
        Filed Ch 13 - 2/2010
        341 meeting - 4/2010
        Confirmed! - 6/2010

Comment

Some atty.'s don't spend a lot of time in the "free consultation" and will ask for paperwok once it is determined that you are going to file/or are eligible to file. Atty. search until you find one you are comfortable with and trust, and you feel is doing the best for you that can be done.
          Indiana Filed March 9, 2010;
          341- April 28, 2010;
          Confirmed May 25, 2010;
          $1,240 a month; 4 down & 56 to go

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X